Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reference books

Article about: Hello, everyone! I have been planning to purchase a set of reference books recently, and I have looked out for some information. In the end, I have two options. 《COLLECTING THE EDGED WEAPO

?

Red face Reference books

Hello, everyone!

I have been planning to purchase a set of reference books recently, and I have looked out for some information. In the end, I have two options.

《COLLECTING THE EDGED WEAPONS OF THE THIRD REICH》Vol.1-8 by Thomas M. Johnson and
    《Exploring the Dress Daggers and Swords of the German》Vol.1-4 by Thomas Wittman

These books are so expensive that I only can buy one of two temporarily, so I hope guys can give me some opinions.Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reference books
    P
    Many

Johnsons books can be found on ebay or Amazon and are usually more affordable as they are older in reference content. Its just a matter of searching.
    Wittmanns References are still within the current price range and can be found also when they appear on Ebay and Amazon.

Sometimes purchasing reference books has to be done 1 or 2 at a time due to ones wallet.
    Most Collector Libraries were built one book at a time.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you, Larry.
    BTW Which one do you think is better

Johnsons books are good photo books and are in early black and white style photography ....there is alot of early History with Johnson visiting the Solingen factories post war into the 1960s...yet as far as greater content Wittmanns References are a very good start in the right direction with history and also dagger details.

Wittmanns Heer book was over shined with our Member here Gerrit and danny who released and updated and a more indepth look into the Heer dagger.

Wittmanns Luftwaffe , Kriegsmarine and SS daggers and swords books are a must when getting into collecting these types of Edged Weapons.

There are other Dagger type references in circulation as well.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for your advice! Your help me a lot

Remember one thing...Reference books and forums will compliment each other...except that the forums content is larger than what can be squeezed into a reference.
    The two can work together.

Reference books have a stopping point after many years and need updating due to the fact that new information arises ...as we see with many articles of TR items. The update to the Heer Dagger as an example.

This hobby is quite amazing as we see ...what hasnt been seen " Out of the woodwork " examples ...that may show a certain detail that a reference book has not uncovered. Consider a reference book the same as a manual or something to refer back to ...but keeping an open mind that there is more information in circulation and here on forums.

Regards Larry

Well said , Larry.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Rhine,

Larry has provided some very sound advice and suggestions. As mentioned, due to the price, try to find some of these books in used condition. There are some places such as ABE Books and Hamiltonbook.com that sell discounted top shelf reference books on occasion. Amazon is also a good place to look and there are many militaria dealers that also have reference book sections along with their other items for sale and you may be able to find some on their websites for fairly decent prices. Bill Shea from Ruptured Duck has some reference books for sale and of course the online auction sites such as Ebay may also have what you are looking for.

Also as previously mentioned you don't have to purchase all the volumes at one time but the money you invest in purchasing the reference books as well as scrolling through the topics on the forum here will save you from making costly mistakes when it comes to purchasing authentic German daggers (or any other type of militaria).

Best regards, good luck in the hunt

Smitty

here is a link to Bill Shea's "Ruptured Duck" He has a few of the Johnson Dagger Books for sale for relatively cheap prices.

Books – The Ruptured Duck, LLC

?

Rakkasan187, Thanks a lot for your advice!

?

You can also find good info on different references to help you decide what to look for on the link below. I constantly have a few references that I'm looking for so when I find them at an acceptable price I buy.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/forum-reference-library/

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast