Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?

Article about: Repost with correct images, So I purchased an SS Dagger and someone mentione dthat the dagger looked off, and the IV marking on the cross guard was concerning and that did not look period an

Default SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?

Repost with correct images, So I purchased an SS Dagger and someone mentione dthat the dagger looked off, and the IV marking on the cross guard was "concerning" and that did not look " period" any thoughts on the Dagger overall and this mark? [ATTACH=CONFIG][/ATTACH]SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?
    Last edited by Hodlshark; 05-21-2024 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Removed wording Repost with correct images, as admin removed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?
    P
    Many

Hello Shark..welcome to the forum....the SS district stamping ceased after 1935 and no RZM daggers were marked.
    IV stamping does not and never existed as a point of distribution and the stamping itself appears to bee recently done.

I do seean SS number beneath the crossguard and if you can post that number Im sure it might be identifiable.

Regards Larrry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Also I moved your thread here in the SS dagger forum and deleted the double thread of the same dagger.
    Only one thread per dagger is best for a more focused discussion please.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Here you go Larry, thanks for the warm welcome, so does this mean the Dagger is not authentic? SS Dagger IV mark on crossguard concerning ?

Also, the listing I purchased the SS Dagger from does mention the IV here "Nickle-silver upper and lower mounts. The lower crossguard with an unusual to find gruppe mark 'IV'. Underneath the crossguard is the stamped SS membership number of the original owner, '58 528'.
    The blade with motto bearing the rarely found exclamation mark. The reverse with the RZM M7/29 markings."

Just guessing here... the IV could represent Sturm IV of a particular Sturmbann which was a unit formation of the Allgemeine SS. Alternatively, it might be the owner's initials, but there were rules against personalization. It doesn't affect the authenticity of the dagger, only the IV stamp IMO...

I might also add that as Larry pointed out, the stamp may have been recently done. There is really no way to determine much about the meaning of the stamp, but I have never seen one like it and I have seen a lot of SS daggers...

That SS number must of belonged to an Nco as it does not exist in the SS dienstalterliste.

I see numbers for 58527 and skips over to 58529

The dagger appears to be correct ...but as Mr Skyline pointed out about the IV on the crossguard ...hard to say when that was put on there and I can not authenticate the SS number stamping itself ....but the dagger itself it looks ok.

Regards Larry

I'm with Larry& Skyline.
    A rare ! dagger, as Skyline wrote
    the IV could be sturm.
    Regards Gerd