Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Walking out dagger from Erik Frost, supplier to Wehrmacht?

Article about: I am uploading and would welcome information from you on 3 photos of a walking out dagger with scabbard bearing the markings ERIK FROST, MORA SWEDEN, ROSTFRI. I am told that this firm suppli

Default Walking out dagger from Erik Frost, supplier to Wehrmacht?

I am uploading and would welcome information from you on 3 photos of a walking out dagger with scabbard bearing the markings ERIK FROST, MORA SWEDEN, ROSTFRI. I am told that this firm supplied walking out daggers to the Wehrmacht and SS, and there is a similarity in appearance apparent even to a non-collector such as myself. My dagger has a chrome-plated brass handle with single cross guard, elkhorn grips, a brown leather frog, and measures 332 mm overall. Who can date the age of the dagger and tell me whether it is of interest to militaria collectors?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Walking out dagger from Erik Frost, supplier to Wehrmacht?   Walking out dagger from Erik Frost, supplier to Wehrmacht?  

Walking out dagger from Erik Frost, supplier to Wehrmacht?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Walking out dagger from Erik Frost, supplier to Wehrmacht?
    P
    Many

Hi Parsi..interesting bayo / knife combination..but something of which I have never seen myself..nor that the Wehrmacht may have sanctioned. There is already in place the "Dress Bayonet K98 that also comes with plated mirror blade and optional stag grips " Elkhorn"

If this was in fact supplied to the German Army..Im curious as of why there are not more of these to be seen..or only a very limited production amount was produced.

Some Third Reich producers are still in operation today producing examples of varied types.

The photos are somewhat blurred.

What you were told is not enough supporting proof that these were supplied..I would like to see documented proof.

There is truth thought that Erik Frost is a vintage producer and pumping out many varid types of knives seen in the link below being sold through ebay warehoused in New York.
    https://picclick.com/Vintage-Erik-Fr...459257258.html

Dont believe everything you hear just because someone else said so. IMO..this knife you show is nice as are the many others in the link supplied but unrelated to the Wehrmacht.

Invite your source to this forum ..we would be encouraged if he has further knowledge of the history of this very one knife.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I think Larry pretty well nailed it.

The story about being used by SS is what Mac66 would say BOGUS
    Simply not allowed by regulations.

This is what a Dutch seller tells about a pretty similar one

F.M.Mattsson Mora Walk Out Bayonet, Dress Dagger, Well Used.

Walk out bayonet, “On Leave Bayonet” ("Permissionsbajonet”). Dagger.
    While Often called a Bayonet, has no fittings for attachment to a rifle.
    These were originally modelled from 1920-30’s German Weimar Republic, 3rd Reich military bayonets and non rifle fitting Fire Brigade and Police knives, with eagle head pommels.
    Unofficially used, adopted by Swedish military members. Not normal or sanctioned formal Swedish military dress. but very dressy…
    Similarly The Germans also had their unofficial versions.

Swedish Produced in various designs from 1939 to 1962

Cheers
    Ger

Thanks for the responses, but there is a misunderstanding. I did not mean to say or imply that the dagger in the photos was issued to Wehrmacht or SS personnel, only that. according to hearsay elsewhere in the internet, Frost in Sweden was at one time a contractor-supplier of bayonets and daggers to German forces. This is hard to prove, as presumably the contractor was not permitted to stamp such items with his own trademark or to show Sweden as country of origin.

1.Maybe someone can give me a history lesson..but I thought when a country was deemed "neutral " to war and conflict..it meant that they were Neutral !
    Just my thoughts..but that means not contributing to either side?

2. Hearsay is not enough to support if edged weapons were supplied as stated above in my reply. Again if that were the case where are they in the market place ..there has to be some out there with condition issues ..and if they were supplied to the German forces ..then they were produced in abundant amounts. Again where are the period examples?

Parsi we hear what your saying,,and are not attacking you personally..but the unsupported tales of the internet which came from many people " whispering down the lane "...meaning the story changes from person to person until the knife finally ends where Hitler used it to cut bratwurst with it

Thoughts and opinions welcome...and would like to hear Swedens official role during the period as I had read history in school that Sweden along with Switzerland were Neutral.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

At the moment I'm pressed for time so this is the super short version: Long, long, before WW II Germany - while it was still a cluster of individual states high quality iron ore for steel making was imported from Sweden.

This was still taking place in the infancy and later in the TR era of Germany, and there is a thread here on the forum somewhere that discusses some S. 84/98 ex-German Army/Wehrmacht bayonets that were associated with Kar. 98k rifles that were sent there and used as antitank rifles. Also having some additional knowledge of other military type arms sent there as well. Sweden during that era having found itself in what we might call an "interesting" situation. It had Germany as its next door neighbor in Norway and Denmark (both occupied), and Germany was on friendly terms with Finland etc. So while it was officially neutral as a non-combatant, in fact it was still sending Germany iron ore etc. etc. - but I'm going to stop here in the interest of brevity.

As for the story of it being a supplier of non-standard dress sidearms to the Wehrmacht/SS in my humble opinion if anything the "storytellers" got it reversed. Because it was Germany that was exchanging finished arms to Sweden for raw materials, and therefore IMO falling into the category of "vaporware" (something claimed which doesn't exist).

BTW: Dress sidearms that were made/purchased for the different components of the Wehrmacht have Waffenamts/Acceptance marks. Private purchases were those as approved and seen in TR period catalogs. Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-29-2018 at 12:45 AM.

HgF
    ?

Exactly as Larry C says in this tread, post #2, this dagger/knife by the company Erik Frost, Mora, Sweden - is not related to German Wehrmacht. It is a civil dagger/knife made in the late 1940's and cataloged as "Permissionsbajonett" dress bayonet. The company F.M. Mattsson - also in Mora - made their version of the "Permissionsbajonett" (1939 to 1962). Some of the very dressy dress bayonets from E Frost as well as F.M. Mattsson have been used unauthorized in military context in Sweden.