Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WKC trademark evolution

Article about: Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie was the amalgamation of two very old Solingen family companies in 1883. Both companies had had their own trademark. For Weyersburg it was King's head and for

An example of the W.K. & C. logo as used on a trench knife made during World War 1, or a few years before (with thanks to Martin C.)
    We can see the knight is in the refined form as seen in Oleg's naval dagger and has been joined by the traditional Weyersburg family trademark of a King's head.
    Again an example how the company used both forms of trademark at the same time, on different blades.

WKC trademark evolution

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WKC trademark evolution
    P
    Many

I would be interested to know if this is a legitimate WKC trademark. I have seen it once online being called that, but I would like to know for sure. Reason being I have this RFV bayonet marked with it coming up in my next sale.

Thanks in advance as usual.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WKC trademark evolution  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Definately not WKC Ade. It is a mark of a bayonet/side arm distributor/ outfitter so far identified only as "W.F.P." and we know that as some dress bayonets/ faschinenmesser have this helmet logo with "W.F.P." underneath. The helmet itself suggests a Fire Helmet so may be an distributor who also sold Fire Service accoutrements or originally did. Not a common mark so collectable for that reason alone.

Thanks! I had my doubts hence the question.

I will pop that into my lot description.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Lightbulb

What I find interesting about the development of the WKC logo is that in the beginning there was a knight's head as the family symbol of the Kirschbaums and a royal head as the family symbol of the Weyersbergs. (According to the book "German knife and sword makers" by J. A. Carter, multiple smiths of these families used this "family symbol" and they look the same in the book).

Then, when they merged in 1883, they used both of the heads together, then only the names (as in Ger's example), and from 1930 (before the company was reorganized in 1935) they used only the Kirschbaum knight's head with the WKC underneath.

And now they are using twin head again, as you can see in the picture below (the modern KM damascus dagger they are now selling is really making me think about buying it and displaying it along with the period one ).

WKC trademark evolutionWKC trademark evolution

I think the dropping of the "King" was something of a nod towards the demise of Royal Houses post WW1. But practical reasons like space available on a ricasso may have pushed the move to single head logo.

That's possible. And the reinstatement of the twin head may be a reference to the company's long history. But those are just speculations.

I just wanted to make a small contribution to this important dialog. I have recently found two blades I believe to have been made by WKC and are marked with the "Knight's Head" hallmark. Neither is marked with the company's full name or initials. The S98 Dress Bayonet appears to have most likely been produced sometime before 1918 as this model soon fell out of favor and out of service. The sword stick cane has a blade closely resembles that of the S98 "quillback" and the age / patina on the hardware would appear to indicate a similar era of production. Both stamps look very close to gerrit's dagger posted earlier, would it be safe to say these hallmarks in question are Imperial era?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WKC trademark evolution   WKC trademark evolution  

WKC trademark evolution   WKC trademark evolution  

Ade,

Anderson’s synopsis of the bayonet and helmet maker mark is spot on. I also own a stag gripped example without the WFP initials and have always wondered what the significance of the mark was.

I agree that it’s not necessarily for Feuerwehr service but rather a logo, likely from a distributor. Never been able to discern what the initials stand for.

These bayonets appear to have been produced in the Weimar era and the blades measure slightly longer than their 3R counterparts. Probably 10 1/4” or so. The scabbards are also slightly longer to accommodate the longer blades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2