Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Central Wisconsin Military Show

Article about: Central Wisconsin Military Show Aug. 10th & 11th, 2018 Aniwa, WI John

Thanks John.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Central Wisconsin Military Show
    P
    Many

There does seem to be a lack of interest from the younger generation, but a lack of interest in just about every thing

Sadly, if they can't play with their phones/xbox stuff, they are at a complete loss.

The last show I went to, was at Duxford, and again the majority of people were of the "older" generation.

It was a wonderful day out, loads of Spitfires flying (about 25+) plus some great stalls.

Thanks for posting these pictures

It might also have something to do with the high prices asked in general for WW2 gear, especially German. The prices go up and up... till there's nobody left that will pay it.

Collecting WWII is not a cheap hobby as earlymb stated and has to be a barrier to entry in the hobby for the young folks. It seams like we do not have much disposable income until the kids are gone from home, which makes us over 40 and closer to 50. The future of collecting WWII will be interesting as us older folks pass.
    John

?

i shall try explain this being the demographic being referred to.

I have a paper round. I get £60 a week, i can afford to get militaria in general since that is what i like. The majority of teens and kids dont have jobs to fund there collecting (assuming middle class and not being funded by parents) and when teenages do get money(from birthdays,Christmas). Designer clothes/iphones/consoles would be preferred over militaria as you get more for your money. You can get 100 hundreds of games on a console(i bought battlefield 1 and have 300 plus hours on it, for £60 that has been a good £60 spent) . Speak to all your friends on your phone. Show off designer clothes. Given these are all priced quite high leaves no money for the likes of a helmet. In which that can be literally just be perceived at surface level as “old metal n leather”

Another thing being is the reception they might get from peers, especially for teenagers and the girl they might fancy. Since military interest isnt extremely popular anymore compared to probably the 50-70s being open about it and makes for you being an “outcast” per se and if they had anyone over at their house it would be awkward having swastikas in their room. I fortunately introduce my militaria collecting to new people after we get to properly know each. So no misunderstandings can happen. That and my girl is cool with it (thank god hahah)

Another thing might just be media. Military movies are made less frequently now, war books for kids are probably increasingly frowned upon. The latest run of ww2 video games are boring or failing. Another thing could be lack of veterans among families or lack of knowledge of said veterans when they die. Or maybe its the change of thought process of the younger generation where the british empire was evil, having “nazi stuff” makes you a neo nazi etc

I unfortunately will have no time to go to events in the future and will effectively have to stop collecting at some point. I plan to go university, which will make me skint. I might have to wait until i am in my late 20s or 30s before collecting can be normal again. so i plan to save a ton for war and peace next year which will be my last big “hurrah” before i stop.

Anyway explanation over. Hopefully I explained that right

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3