Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tankfest 2019

Article about: Hi guys, Thought I'd share some pics from this one. Some nice vehicles on display this year, Jagdpanther, Panther, Dutch Boxer and PRTL, Firefly etc. It was great to see the Jagdpanther movi

Default Tankfest 2019

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share some pics from this one. Some nice vehicles on display this year, Jagdpanther, Panther, Dutch Boxer and PRTL, Firefly etc. It was great to see the Jagdpanther moving, last time I saw it move was nearly 15 years ago. The Panther sounded more like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as it crawled around the arena, bit of a disappointment to be honest, especially after seenig footage of it elsewhere. It was followed by the usual mix of Cold War kit, most of my pics from the 2018 thread here would apply to this year, same tanks, same angle, same weather (minus the IS-3 and Char B). It's nice to see the museum finally show off the Gulf War captured T-72 instead of the usual East European example.

Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tankfest 2019
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Awesome. I could see this year after year too and never get tired of it!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Theres two events a year that make me jealous because I can't attend, Tankfest and Tiger Day.

Great pics Mr Spotter.

I'll add mine......same vehicles (mostly), different angles.....'not as good as yours...

Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019Tankfest 2019

Some summary comments...AFTER the pics so no one has to read them:-

- this was the second 3 day Tankfest weekend...they introduced what is effectively a pre-Day last year...and personally I think last years went better than this years...its almost like they were trying to put on a show having managed ones expectations that its not an actual show day. BUT numbers of attendees is restricted (c4,000 on Friday and over twice that Sat and Sun...on the basis that the pre-show tickets were still on sale quite late I'm assuming they didnt sell them all....but they sure sold every single one for today.....in my view they should make Friday "a day" and balance the attendee numbers across the 3...7,000 max per day...unless one goes to their position from gates opening and sits tight for several hours there's gonna be 4-5 folk in front of you
    - the borrowing of "guest" vehicles continues and this works well....perhaps better than the vehicles themselves!....no Tiger for starters (which is good.....there's rarer vehicles to see anyway)....Jagd Panther (Weald Foundation), Panther (Saumur), small Japanese thingy (Private), Sturmgeshutz (Auf A...I think) (Private), Boxer & PRTL (Dutch army...and friends), T35/85 from Cobatton, Centurion (?).....still no King Tiger tho...I guess they'd have to trade the Tiger to the Carousel for that to make the journey.....'fingers crossed eh?
    - the entry point has moved and in doing so displaced some traders and re-enactors (or it appears to have done).....it's no longer the stall-fest it once was and one gets the impression that the dealers will be squeezed until there's none there
    - World Of Tanks continues to dominate with long queues forming to play the games inside the large building.....as, at the very same time, some of the rarest.....ahemm.....TANKS RUMBLE PAST OUTSIDE!!!!!!....kids today eh? :-)...'never seen so many pale-skinned folk with very very thin beards......
    - I'd suggest 80% of the general attendees were from overseas which is great!...I talked to guys from Holland, Poland, Japan, US and Russia - most were here solely for the event...my new Japanese friend told me his journey was Japan - Weymouth (for the Show) - Japan.....you probably have to have been to Weymouth to get that one!
    - this is a great opp to meet the guys who use the modern stuff..in this weekends case Brit and Dutch soldiers AND some people who build the stuff too....I saw sooooo many folk walk past these people to get a snap of each vehicle and walk away...it's sooooo interesting to hear what works, what doesn't, how they compare etc etc
    - always good to rummage through the museums own clear-out stall just inside the museum
    - and finally, like a lot of such events, Bovi needs to understand (and act on) the basic rules......if someone's got a Presentation / speaker slot, make sure they CAN present / speak. If you're going to rely on Powerpoint in a tent on a sunny day accept that they won't be visible (Army guy managed this well), plan for gaps so if something doesn't quite happen on script have a plan B....and only give microphones to those people you want to make the Museum sound/look good

....so, not sure how that all sounds.....'bottom line is I've been going ever since this event started....and guess what....I'll be back next year!

...oh and bring back "shock and awe" at the start...three Leopards, with "smoke-on" and Rammstein blaring out simply can't be beaten as an attention grabber!
    Last edited by Composite; 06-29-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Going tomorrow - never been before & looking forward to it

?

Neat line up they have this year. I went two years ago! Unfortunately for me the jagdpanther never ran since it broke down or something before it could go around (good to see it lives up to its heritage )

Hopefully you guys enjoy it! Militaria there is over priced I realise in retrospect.

Going tomorrow?...we got there this morning at 7.45 and queued for over an hour....the queue by nine was BIG but hidden via Disney science.....the vehicle park opens at 9.00. The JagdP is parked up in front of the Restoration centre with the Stug and the Panther.....they aren’t in the park....my advice would be to get around the Park first before the hordes arrive....and if you want front row seats go there and sit tight...and check the wind direction as the watering didn’t keep the dust down for me. Enjoy!

Arrow

And wasn't it hot ??

Anyhow, first time I'd ever been and was happy to see some very interesting stuff. Trying hard not to double-up on the great photos already here, here's a few highlights of my day....

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Arrow

...and a few more. There was even a (little) bit of miltaria for sale, which whetted my appetite for Belting in a few weeks....

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

Tankfest 2019

It was a long old day, and the crowds and heat did rather drive me mad. Not sure I'd go every year BUT if this is your sort of thing, you do owe it to yourself to 'do' Tankfest at least once !

Arrow

Well, OK, just one last pic from my album of yesterday.

Guilty secret time - I have an odd fascination with the Matilda II ( probably since reading 'Tramp In Armour' as a youngster and buying a FOV 1/32 model ) . So one of yesterday's real highlights for me was to see Bovington's example trundling around - and sounding remarkably 'meaty' for a couple of old 'bus engines....

Tankfest 2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast