Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Air Force Pilotka

Article about: Requesting some help with this one. I've stumbled across this on a dealer's website, but am not familiar enough with Soviet soft headgear to authenticate it myself. I understand this style o

Default Air Force Pilotka

Requesting some help with this one. I've stumbled across this on a dealer's website, but am not familiar enough with Soviet soft headgear to authenticate it myself. I understand this style of pilotka is quite rare and heavily faked, and I suspect this is the case here. I'd just like to pick a few brains here before I pass on something I perhaps shouldn't.

Many thanks in advance!

Air Force Pilotka Air Force Pilotka Air Force Pilotka

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Air Force Pilotka
    P
    Many

Looking at the construction of the blue star beneath the badge, I'm beginning to err on the side of this being a reproduction. I'm also not sure I've ever seen a pilotka with a silk lining like this one. If anyone knows better than me, I'd appreciate their input.

B.B.

?

I don’t like the overlap of the piping cloth to the front of the skirt; looks a bit clumsy to me.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    I don’t like the overlap of the piping cloth to the front of the skirt; looks a bit clumsy to me.
    Yes, I think I’m going to pass on this one. There are one too many red flags, and it’s not like there’s a shortage of Soviet headgear. Thanks for your help!

B.B.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    I'm inclined to agree and I don't think the join would be in such a prominent place. I expect the lining is rayon rather than silk but as these were only worn by VVS officers it might be correct. I am not keen on the style of stitching but most of all I am suspicious of the total absence of any signs of actual wear in use. I imagine that the price might also give a little steer as well?
    Is there any provenance that is actually plausible?

I should say that I don't collect Soviet head gear and the stuff I do have was acquired when it was current during my own service during the Cold War from a "know your enemy" perspective. That said I have handled a lot especially during my tour of duty in Berlin and this one doesn't get my collectors "spider sense" tingling!

Just my gut feeling really.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I'm inclined to agree and I don't think the join would be in such a prominent place. I expect the lining is rayon rather than silk but as these were only worn by VVS officers it might be correct. I am not keen on the style of stitching but most of all I am suspicious of the total absence of any signs of actual wear in use. I imagine that the price might also give a little steer as well?
    Is there any provenance that is actually plausible?

I should say that I don't collect Soviet head gear and the stuff I do have was acquired when it was current during my own service during the Cold War from a "know your enemy" perspective. That said I have handled a lot especially during my tour of duty in Berlin and this one doesn't get my collectors "spider sense" tingling!

Just my gut feeling really.

Regards

Mark
    Yes, it was giving me a bad gut feeling too. I find if there's any doubt at all, it's better to pass on something than to take a risk. At worst you miss out on an authentic item, but at least you're still in pocket. In this case, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

B.B.