Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German helmets re-issued by Red Army

Article about: Here I found a couple of pictures being worn by the personnel of 144 Regiment of the 49 Guards Rifle Division That is the stuff of this regiment Medical personnel Artillery Being the divisio

Default Re: German helmets re-issued by Red Army

It looks like this was for a parade. I agree, I doubt they would want to wear them for combat, for precisely the reason you state.

Boridin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmets re-issued by Red Army
    P
    Many

While this picture is not of a helmet, it does flow with this thread's general tenor.

Red Army crews operating captured fascist armor.

Boridin

Officer's clowning around with their souvenirs. Many of the helmets have no chinstraps and others are obviously too small for the new owner.

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Officer's clowning around with their souvenirs. Many of the helmets have no chinstraps and others are obviously too small for the new owner.
    Actually, these pictures have been identified to the unit, and this was some sort of parade, perhaps a victory parade of some sort.

Boridin

I understand the unit id etc. The use of the helmets does not reflect a situation of captured equipment reissued for use IMHO. These guys are all smiles, helmets don't fit, no chinstraps, most if not all are officers. There is a hint of machismo and lack of seriousness in the images I think, hence my clowning around remark.

Quote by colt45 View Post
    I found the jeep they stole
    This picture was taken in 1944 at Arnhem, Holland during operation Market Garden. The jeep was originally used by the 1st British Airborne division. This division was dropped around Arnhem. Their mission was to capture the bridge over the river Rhine. The Germans won this battle. During the battle the Germans captured a lot of British Airborne jeeps. The two men who are sitting at the back of the jeep are British POW. They could be Frosts men (2nd battalion). The Jeep driver could be a soldier of a SS unit. The two other German soldiers belonged to a naval division (Kriegsmarine). The German forces during this battle were a mixture of SS, regular army and naval units.

One of the most interesting things about the jeep picture is the para's on the back of it. Anybody else notice the similarties - twins perhaps?!

I believe you are spot on there Grimebox, good eye. Would the British Military let twin brothers jump in the same operation? There is no way, this late in the war, the U.S. would let them do it. Interesting to say the least.

Jay

The only thing that is similar between the 2 British paratroopers is their uniform and perhaps their nationality. As far as I know there are 3 pictures of these same men in the Jeep. One of the pictures is taken very close to the men in the Jeep. At this close picture it can be clearly seen that the 2 British paratroopers in the back have completely different faces. At that same picture can also be seen that the Jeep is not the only thing that the Germans captured from the British. The German driver is also wearing British army goggles.
    At this moment I do not have time to scan that picture from the book. If you are really interested in it I will add it later into this topic.

They sure have very similiar looking faces and hair to me Asjemenou. I would really like to see the additional photos if you get a chance.

Jay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast