MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Leningrad Blockade/ Blokadnik Ssh36 Helmets

Article about: Hello, I have been looking for some information on Leningrad blockade refinished Ssh36 helmets. Does anyone know when they were first used? I have been researching and have not found any fir

Default Leningrad Blockade/ Blokadnik Ssh36 Helmets

Hello,

I have been looking for some information on Leningrad blockade refinished Ssh36 helmets. Does anyone know when they were first used? I have been researching and have not found any firm answers. I have read from one source that they did not appear until 1943 but I feel that is incorrect. I have heard from other sources they appeared as early as 1940 with one source The History of the Russian Steel Helmet by Ivan Karabanov stating "But as early mid-1940, the NKChM suggested the helmets be sent to repair shops located in the military districts." I have some photos of them in use with soldiers on the Leningrad front from the St. Petersburg archives, however they are undated but judging off of the uniforms they appear to be relatively early. Does anyone have any photos of blockade helmets in use from the 41/42 period? I am curious because I am assembling a late 1941/1942 Leningrad mannequin and was wondering if using my blockade refinished helmet would be appropriate. I have attached the undated photos I have. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Leningrad Blockade/ Blokadnik Ssh36 Helmets
    P
    Many

?

During and after the Finnish War of 1939-40, damaged Soviet steel helmets were accumulated in warehouses of the Leningrad Military District and then sent to the LMZ plant for repair. However, due to the large volume of orders for the production of SSh-39 helmets, this plant was unable to cope with the task of repairing damaged helmets.
    With the beginning of the war, this task became generally irrelevant due to the launch of mass production of the SSh-40 helmet. At the time of the blockade, a significant number of damaged steel helmets had accumulated in warehouses in Leningrad. They were repaired by city enterprises and used in some military units, units of Local Air Defense, emergency recovery teams (civil defense), fire departments.Leningrad Blockade/ Blokadnik Ssh36 Helmets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Leningrad Blockade/ Blokadnik Ssh36 Helmets  

Hello mixer thank you very much for the photographs and information! So would you say the repaired helmets were definitely around in the 41/42 period?

?

IMHO - yes! Especially in 1942.
    Soldiers of the armed detachment of Leningrad power engineers