Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Look legit?

Article about: Hi everyone, Found this helmet online, supposedly from Stalingrad but it looks in surprisingly good condition. Just wanted to get the opinions of the forum before I make my purchase, your he

Default Look legit?

Hi everyone,

Found this helmet online, supposedly from Stalingrad but it looks in surprisingly good condition. Just wanted to get the opinions of the forum before I make my purchase, your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.Look legit?Look legit?Look legit?Look legit?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Look legit?
    P
    Many

?

It may well be from Stalingrad.. the place, though not necessarily the battlefield.
    Ignore the story, but I’m sure you know that.

This looks good, prima facia, but I’m not keen on those odd (perhaps slightly contrived), dings and very deep gouges all over it. I seem to recall that another member here was recently stitched up with an alarmingly realistic, plastic SSh-36!
    All the best,
    Rob
    Last edited by Kohima; 11-10-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    It may well be from Stalingrad.. the place, though not necessarily the battlefield.
    Ignore the story, but I’m sure you know that.

This looks good, prima facia, but I’m not keen on those odd (perhaps slightly contrived), dings and very deep gouges all over it. I seem to recall that another member here was recently stitched up with an alarmingly realistic, plastic ‘36!
    All the best,
    Rob
    I agree that the scratching etc does look a little odd and I recall the "plastic fake" which was quite amazing based on the pictures.
    Also, these pictures are too small (can't be expanded) which is always a bad sign.
    I would want more info and better pics. If both are not readily forthcoming neither would be my cash!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The bottom edges of the helmet look very "raw" to me as well as quite thin metal. There's odd scuff marks on the rear left, the tiny pock marks look very strange. I think this might be another plastic lid.

I agree that this may be another plastic one, those gouges in the back look very off. Better close ups of those will tell us.

Who in the world is making these plastic helmets!

Dom
    ?

Did you ask the seller this question ?

?

No need to guess on the coffee grounds - plastic is not plastic! (this is long and stupid)

To make it easier - ask the seller for a photo with a stuck magnet and that's it. If the magnet sticks, it is metal.

But even from such photographs it is clear that it is metal.
    The helmet is 100% restored! (The rust was lost - they were polished and even some elements along the outer edge were welded up - this can be seen even from such photographs. Then they tinted the helmet - refreshed the appearance, - then they applied a star with paint)

Summary: the item is original, but restored.

The magnets don’t work on all helmets because of the steel mix carbon,manganese etc...
    But I agree this is good shell restored.
    Fred