Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?

Article about: Hello everyone, after discovering your amazing site a few years ago I've just joined to contribute humbly. Now the main meal! After ordering a restored Ssh 36 that I could have lived with, I

?

Default Ssh 36 helmet shell, original or reproduction?

Hello everyone,
    From your experience do you think the shell under that paint is original or repro? Looking at it shows it was sanded, there is oxydation marks as well. There is part of a cold stamp number. But the lip at the bottom of the rim seems odd & the interior of the comb is without rust or dirt. The steel seems tin. Weights .945 kg. Your input will be greatly appreciated in educating me. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?   SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?  

SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?   SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?  

SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?   SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?  

Last edited by Jack59; 02-27-2023 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Into added, simplified text, need help added

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?
    P
    Many

?

Default Ssh 36 dating with cold stamp

FOR MY MYSTERY SHELL PARTICULARLY...

Ssh 36 was cold stamped, starting in 1936 to 1937 it was located inside the back of the shell near the rim.
    Typically the first digit is the size followed by a number 1 placed sideways keeping the batch number separated from the size.
    In early 1937 the sideways number 1 vanishes & the numbers are nicely aligned. Later in 1937 the stamping is moved to the side of the shell.
    Moved because the ballistic test were done in the back of the shell... guess where? Yes, the bottom of the helmet!

So my Ssh 36 is an original, 1936 or very early 1937 one! Huza!..
    Last edited by Jack59; 03-26-2023 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Auction update

From what I've gathered, the Lip on the edge of the helmet rim indicates this is an IMA Made reproduction

?

Thanks for your input, so far I agree with you. Meanwhile I received a few pictures from that shelI at the beginning of the restoration???.. It looks like an early model without rivets. Of course no picture of the stamping! Still a good exercise of detective work. Take care.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?   SSH 36 shell, original or reproduction?  

?

Default Update for my Ssh 36, things are moving!

See next post, thanks.
    Last edited by Jack59; 03-27-2023 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Same post doubled by mistake.

?

My Ssh 36 is a relic that was found in the Kirovohrad Region, Ukraine. I can only imagine the fate of its original owner, not many options for him then.

The helmet was nicely restored but not for a collector. Now I'm attached to it! I will give it a well deserved authentic look. So far new paint did wonder.

A bit of aging gave it style. I'm waiting for
    a few parts to complete the job.

While doing research for this helmet I found interesting information: the cold stamp & it's location reveals a lot, the rim of the later model helmets was eliminated to simplify the production, there as been a controversy about the red star painted on the helmet, enough that the hammer & sickle were added, causing delays that slowed the manufacturing process for a while.

Once the restoration completed I'll show you the final product, see you soon.
    Last edited by Jack59; 03-27-2023 at 02:24 PM.

?

Hi Spenwill, sorry for the delay to thank you for your comment, since then I know that my Ssh 36 is a restored relic. Originally I received that helmet instead of the one advertised. Having been refunded for it I began to look a bit more closely at it. This started this thread. If you wish take a peek at the development. Thanks. Jack

?

Default Final chapter, restoration completed.

Hi everyone, here is my restored Ssh 36.
    I'm happy with the result, this helmet will stand
    proudly within my collection.

Outside painting at the limit: -6° C, inspiration cannot wait!
    Then running back in the house with the helmet for it to dry,
    it worked, this time...

Shell is a relic, everything else is reproduction.

And from here back in Manchuria, 1939.

Thanks for taking a look.