Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ssh36 and red stars ?

Article about: Hello, I have seen a lot of pictures of the Ssh36 both period and in collections . Some have no star painted on front, some have a solid red star, and some have star with a hammer and sickle

?

Default Ssh36 and red stars ?

Hello, I have seen a lot of pictures of the Ssh36 both period and in collections . Some have no star painted on front, some have a solid red star, and some have star with a hammer and sickle inside. Since production ended in 1941 it seems a short span to have such variation. Can anyone shed some light on the production dated of the different painted star helmets ? -Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ssh36 and red stars ?
    P
    Many

Kyron.
    Correct me if im wrong, but i'm guessing that maybe different factories painted their stars differently and some didn't paint them at all.
    Then again, I could be wrong.

Hi- let me see if I can help answer your question. I will go through each model star from the earliest use to the last.

To start, the solid star was used almost entirely (from what I have seen) on the Ssh-36's given to the Spaniards during the Spanish Civil war (I believe they applied these stars themselves? Not too sure). The first star decal used by the soviets on the Ssh-36 helmet was the thinner star with a hammer and sickle in the middle of it. Mind you, this was used during the early years of production. Now, sometime in 1939 during the Winter War, they changed the design to a much thicker star. Then, if I'm right, in 1940 they stopped applying the star decal on it, as they were trying to get these helmets out of the factories as soon as possible.

I will post some images of each model. If you're viewing from a desktop the images should go in order from the top left --> right, and then bottom left --> bottom right

Ssh36 and red stars ?Ssh36 and red stars ?Ssh36 and red stars ?Ssh36 and red stars ?
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 03-15-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Papa, were they "decals"? I thought they were painted using stencils. Clawson's book has a big solid red star painted on a captured M18 that looks like the ones painted later on the SCW helmets. I don't know if anybody has seen one like this, but this is a decal on a correct 1941 LZM Sh39, but I believe it is at earliest applied for post-war for parade use.Ssh36 and red stars ?Ssh36 and red stars ?

Hi- sorry I meant stencils, I just have a habit of saying decals . I am aware of the M17 (?) German helmet with the red star, and I believe it was sold on IMA for nearly $1000 USD, and it was said to have been used by Anti-Aircraft personnel in the 1920’s. Sorry, but I am a bit confused as to what the images you posted are, and what an SCW helmet is?

Also, I will post what the parade star looks like (I went through multiple threads from the forum and most people said these were parade stars). We are talking about Ssh-36’s, so I’m not sure about eh decal your posted. I only know that those weren’t used on Ssh-36’s.

Ssh36 and red stars ?Ssh36 and red stars ?

My apologies. SCW = Spanish Civil War.

Your pictures are what I have seen labeled as parade stars. I've never seen another decal like the one I posted and I know it isn't period. Just wondering if anybody else had seen one.

Ah, ok I understand now. The solid red star decal on the german helmet was placed on the german helmet so then soldiers can easily make out that a Soviet soldier is wearing it? Don’t know, it’s a very strange helmet.