Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Ssh40 helmets

Article about: I’m looking for a bit of help accurately dating some Ssh40s I have. I have the Clawson ‘Russian Helmets:’ book and use the World War Helmets site for my homework but still feel I’m m

?

Default Ssh40 helmets

I’m looking for a bit of help accurately dating some Ssh40s I have. I have the Clawson ‘Russian Helmets:’ book and use the World War Helmets site for my homework but still feel I’m missing some details.

The three helmets below are all Syrian used, came out of Israel, trophies from the ’67 or ‘73 wars The first I’ve had for a few years the other two bought recently. No collection needs three helmets in this condition but as there are no books on the subject I’m try to piece together what models were in use at that time.
    I will probably do that questionable practice of making the best helmet I can out of the three but before I do it I want to be sure there isn’t a WWII period helmet hiding amongst them. I’m assuming all are post war manufacture, but Syria was on handouts so could have got anything.

The first, no visible heat stamp, no visible ink stamp, no washer on the strap rivet. The liner is too worn to have see the material pattern. Is there anything there that can say either way pre or post 45.

Ssh40 helmets Ssh40 helmets

Second helmet, with a net, like the other one the liner had bene removed and the net fixed behind it. Heat stamp 2-4882, no visible ink stamps, washer on the strap rivet. Because one pad has come loose I can show the hidden material pattern.

Ssh40 helmets

Third one, heat stamp 2-6880, no visible ink stamps, strap is sewn on, my understanding is that this is a post war detail.

Any insight gratefully received. If more photos are needed to help I’ll take them.

A couple, of other questions:
    1. All of these have no ink stamps, is it normal for these not to wear off, or was there a practice of removing them for ‘export’.
    2. The heat stamp, I can’t find a logical pattern to the numbering, on WWH its very specific in the year but I can’t see the pattern.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ssh40 helmets
    P
    Many

Hi Steve, if theres no ink stamp, its impossible 100% suggest the production year. I can add only the camo net was complected since 50s.
    Ink stamp contains the size and prod. year and sometimes "P" informing it was "R"epaired. It can fade out, I dont see any reason to remove it on purpose.
    Rearding heat stamp, U cant find logical pattern where theres no logical pattern. Its just batch number of melting party.
    Sorry for my French, hope U did understand me))

?

Kalilaska118, thank you for your reply - which I understood no problem.

This confirmed my understanding that you need the ink stamps to be sure of the year, I personally think these are all post war, I cleaned them at the weekend and refitted the liners, decided not to change parts between them. I will add photos when it stops snowing and I can get better light.

I did not know the net was Russian I thought this was a Syrian addition.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
    Steve.

Np, Steve.
    One more hint for U is to check how chin strap is fitted: before 1954 and after.
    Pics legally stolen from comrades forum to illustrate it

Ssh40 helmets

Ssh40 helmets

?

All three had the bottom type fixing.

Thanks again for your help.
    Steve

Dom
    ?

In the current state we can determine if it is LMZ or ZKO manufacture if you show photos of the engraved numbers ...
    You say that your helmets are in the bottom configuration on the photos shown by our friend Kalikaska, however the chinstraps are riveted on the first two?

?

I just checked them all again. The first helmet has the earlier type of chinstrap bale fixing, but no visible stamp

The other two are the later fixings, one with riveted strap.

This is the stamp for the second helmet and part of an ink stamp

This is the stamp for the third helmet

Ssh40 helmets

Steve

Dom
    ?

The one with the net (which in my opinion is not soviet) is a post war ZKO manufacture between 52 and 54.
    The last one with sewn chinstrap can be made between 54 and 60 ...

?

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dom.

Steve