Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ushanka wartime ?

Article about: Hello, any chance this a wartime or immediate post war ushanka ? Out of my area of collecting but it caught my eye. The fur looks modern imitation and the interior is slightly different than

So, it does have the correct stitching pattern, but what I've noticed is opinions on various ushanki posted over the years (and this is just an unscientific observation) is this pattern without significant material on the edges outside the diagonal stitching often gets "early post-war" opinions. In this wartime ushanka, the diamond in the middle is much smaller leaving more material outside the stitching. Not saying the other is not wartime, just different.Ushanka wartime ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ushanka wartime ?
    P
    Many

?

Yes I agree. In my limited exposure to these images I noticed the same thing.

Ushanka wartime ?Ushanka wartime ?

That's a good observation Mathieu. One sidemark to that observation, doesn't the size of the ushanka also have to do with that? Perhaps the bigger the size of the ushanka, the more material outside of the diagonal stitching? Would be interesting to see whether the size has an influence here. Myself I have no clue since I didn't take notice on this until you mentioned it here.

Here's my two wartime ushankas:

Here's a 1940 dated original ushanka, for sale at Espenlaub, without the significant material outside the stitching. Plus another one for sale at the WAF, dated 1941.
    So there goes that theory unfortunately.

?

Ok so the stamp seems to be the definitive factor in addition to the overall look

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Ok so the stamp seems to be the definitive factor in addition to the overall look
    Yes, however it should be noted that the majority of well worn ushankas don't show any stamp anymore. These are worn off by wear (see both my ushankas shown in post # 13)

The 1940 Espenlaub ushanka was made in Belarus. You can see the name "Gomel" under the word Komintern. I found this on the internet: History of the Company JSC “Comintern”
    History of the company began by opening in March 1919 the first military uniform factory. Since February, 1922, the factory moved to the mass production of civilian clothes and became known as «Gomodezhda». In April 1928 — the factory was renamed to «Comintern». In 1964 the company reorganized to Gomel Production Garment Association “Comintern”

Actually, this is War Relics dejavu:A salty ushanka

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2