Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?

Article about: I saw this Russian helmet for sale and I finally managed to download pictures from this site. According to the site Brendon's Helmets - Military Steel Combat Helmets of the World it is only

Default Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?

I saw this Russian helmet for sale and I finally managed to download pictures from this site.
    According to the site
    Brendon's Helmets - Military Steel Combat Helmets of the World
    it is only possible to make the difference between a wartime SSH40 and a postwar one by looking at the date stamp, which this helmet doesn't have. Only a lotnumber. Sadly chinstrap missing. Looks it had a repaint to me...
    Thanks in advance and thanks for your reactions to my previous post !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?   Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?  

Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?   Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?  

Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?   Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?  

Attached Images Attached Images Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?  Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wartime or postwar SSH40 russian helmet ?
    P
    Many

Hello, if it had a chinstrap we could also get a good idea of wartime or postwar, but without a date stamp my advice is to assume it’s postwar. The overpaint could possibly be removed with a gentle and slow application of acetone to reveal the date stamp, but obviously the seller won’t do that…
    Kevin

The helmet on the photos looks like a Lysva (LMZ) WWII production to me. The three oilcloth pads of the liner also seem to be from this period.
    The helmet has indeed been painted over. I have no idea when or why this was done.
    Usually these WWII Lysva helmets are equipped with a light coloured chinstrap. Unfortunately the chinstrap is missing.
    The number 2 in the stamped number represents the size of the helmet.
    In the advertisement, the seller states that it is an early production because of the 3-digit number. I do not know if this is actually rare. I have seen several WWII Lysva helmets with a 3 digit number.
    The helmet has been for sale for a long time. I am afraid the seller wants too high a price for the helmet.
    If you decide to buy the helmet. Then it is better not to mess with it too much. The helmet is what it is. Unfortunately, I have seen too many Soviet WWII helmets ruined by acetone or brake fluid.