Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39

Article about: Hey everyone, I just got this helmet. It's a standard early gralex liner Ssh39 made sometime in 1939/1940. I'm going to guess later half of 1940 because it has the lower front brim and I do

Default Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39

Hey everyone,

I just got this helmet. It's a standard early gralex liner Ssh39 made sometime in 1939/1940. I'm going to guess later half of 1940 because it has the lower front brim and I do not believe the star to be original to the helmet (looks like the whole shell has been repainted at some point).

What interests me most on this helmet is that it's an XL size 3, as indicated by the metal stamp and size 62 liner, however the ink stamp says 2A, where it should say 3 or 3A.

Here are some pictures, let me know if I'm missing something or if you've ever seen anything like it before. Hope the poor stamper didn't get sent to the gulag for this.

Last two pictures are obviously not in Russian, I think they are in Dutch.

Kevin

Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39
    P
    Many

The SSh-39 helmet seems like a good LMZ production to me.
    Many SSh-39 helmets were captured by the Germans at the start of Operation Barbarossa. They have been reused by the German Luftschutz. These reused helmets were painted black on the outside.
    There is a lot of messing around with these reused SSh-39 Luftschutz helmets. Sometimes the black top layer of such a helmet is removed with acetone or something similar, but sometimes the outside is repainted green and decorated with an outline Soviet star.
    I have seen some examples of overpainted SSh-39 Luftschutz helmets at militaria fairs.
    If you look closely at such a repainted helmet, you can see a difference in colour between the inside and the outside of the helmet.
    It looks like that the paint layer of your helmet is more beautiful on the outside than on the inside. Normally this is the other way around. It gives me the impression that your helmet has also been repainted on the outside.

You suspect that the texts in the helmet are in the Dutch language. Could you post a larger photo of the black stamped text? The name "Öesen" seems more like a German name than a Dutch name.

Thanks, that theory is strong, seems very plausible and likely to me that it was a captured Luftschutz and at some point after the war someone has tried to make it Russian-looking again. It also matches with "Oesen" being a German name, possibly for the German soldier that used it. That non-Russian stamp is faint, I think this picture is the best I can do, almost looks like "Traditionsmuse" to me, but who knows. Also some other letter that I took a picture of that probably means nothing.

Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39Wrong ink stamp on Ssh39

Kevin

The letter ü is written in the German handwriting Sütterlin; Sutterlin - Wikipedia .
    The black stamp remains a bit unclear, but I think it says the German word Traditionsmuster. I find it a difficult word to translate. The German word Muster means sample in English. What is below might explain a little more, but I cannot read it.
    The texts in the helmet actually indicate what I suspected. The helmet has been reused by the German Luftschutz.
    It always makes me a bit sad when WWII objects are edited in this way and collectors are led astray.
    I also have a SSh-39 Luftschutz helmet myself. The helmet has been repainted in dark gray. I do not think about removing this dark gray layer. It is simply the history of the helmet and I leave it that way.

It can even be a Russian name. I am not familiar with all variations of names since these do not resemble western names but the seperate letter on the last pic is similar to the Cyrillic letter Й (J) - (sometimes written with two dots) and the full name resembles a bit like Йчег. Can our Russian speaking members enlighten us here please if this is a possibility?

Perhaps. I am certainly not a linguist, but there are Slavic languages and dialects that have their own Cyrillic alphabet; Cyrillic alphabets - Wikipedia
    The black stamp with Latin characters makes me suspect that the helmet has been used by the German Luftschutz.