Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions please

Article about: this is a transitional Soviet copy of a German leather winter flight helmet, dated 1945 and lined with dog hair. a throat laryngophone microphone (not shown) is included with the set. what a

Default WWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions please

this is a transitional Soviet copy of a German leather winter flight helmet, dated 1945 and lined with dog hair. a throat laryngophone microphone (not shown) is included with the set. what are your thoughts, authentic? thank you

WWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions pleaseWWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions please
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions please

no one? this must be one rare helmet... or i hope so

The Russians copied...AND.....rewired captured German flight helmets...here is a photo from Mick Prodgers book..Vintage Flying helmets...................Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions please   WWII Soviet leather flight helmet - your opinions please  

Forgot to mention...the goggles are post WW 2....as there is no vent above the lens.............Dave H

?

I see, made ​​in 1949. Goggles are not avionics.
    Look here:
    www.Airforce.ru -

Dog hair lining???????? I'm starting to scratch already!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Dog hair lining???????? I'm starting to scratch already!!
    It's not dog hair mate, it's Astrakhan; check it out:

Karakul Lamb Fur

Also called "astrakhan," "broadtail," or "Persian wool," karakul lamb fur comes from lambs who were killed as newborns or while still in their mothers' wombs. Because their unique, highly prized curly fur begins to unwind and straighten within three days of birth, many karakul lambs are slaughtered when they are only 1 or 2 days old. In order to get a karakul foetus' hide—which is called "broadtail" in the industry and which is valued for its exceptional smoothness—the mother's throat is cut and her abdomen slashed open to remove the developing lamb. A mother typically gives birth to three lambs before being slaughtered along with her fourth foetus, about 15 to 30 days before he or she is due to be born. As many as 4 million karakul lambs are slaughtered for their fur every year.

Courtesy of PETA.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Big Ned,.............Thanks for the info on the interior lining of the helmet, i also heard that the fur was dog hair...........Dave H

?

You are right- the dog's skin was used for that
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    You are right- the dog's skin was used for that
    And so was Astrakhan, or Karakul sheepskin, which I believe this particular helmet to be made of by the look of it.

Still, it could be argued that it is indeed canine fur, here's an example of one they've already started on, and a Karakul lamb that has got away with it.....so far.

Let's have a poll on it, al'a Dominick Consalazio stylee.....

Him?

Or Lambchop?

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast