Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown German strap

Article about: Hi all, I recently found this strap between the leather scraps, I believe its German, but I have no clue what its purpose was. if anyone could help me identify it, that would be greatly appr

Default Unknown German strap

Hi all,

I recently found this strap between the leather scraps, I believe its German, but I have no clue what its purpose was. if anyone could help me identify it, that would be greatly appreciated.

greetings,
    Cydrych
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown German strap   Unknown German strap  

Unknown German strap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown German strap
    P
    Many

Hello Cydrych,

Welcome to the Forum.

I do not know the design purpose of this leather strap, however the stamped in marking of CWt is quite well known. This is the Wehrmacht manufacturers code for Alexander Dahl (Gerberei und Lederwarenfabrik) of Wuppertal-Barmen. As a somewhat crude rule of thumb, anything from this company marked with the inclusion of Barmen in isolation (not W-Barmen), is pre 1929. An interesting family company which was formed in 1836 and famous not simply for their tannery and leather working activities.

Perhaps it is worth posting this strap on the "Field Equipment and Accessories of the Third Reich" sub Forum?

Regards and best wishes,

David

Thank you for the information David,

greeting,
    Cydrych

?

Maybe this belt for box MGZ34/42.
    Photos is not good

Viktor

Is this not a cross strap?
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Is this not a cross strap?
    Hello Ben,

My initial thoughts also and perhaps so.

When the subject strap is however compared to what I suppose could be called a “standard” cross strap, there are I think a few differences. Heavy duty leather and stitching and a practical rather than show adjustment buckle. The 1942 date with a manufactures code is perhaps the clue though. No reason whatsoever to manufacture a then “obsolete” cross strap in 1942 and the code displayed here is “equipment” rather than “dress” related.

I was hoping that someone from the Field Equipment and Accessories sub forum would have chipped in here, as I think that Viktor’s suggestion may be vaguely in the right direction as say, a light equipment carrying strap.

Regards and best wishes,

David

CBH
    ?

Might it be a flare gun holster strap?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Might it be a flare gun holster strap?
    Hello Chris,

I think that you are right.

A quick web search for "German Flare Pistol Holster Strap or similar" provides results towards what appear to be the type of strap which started this thread. Apparently a strap for a type of German flare pistol holster and/or, the associated cartridge pouch.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Hi all,

I've followed the lead of Chris, and done some research myself to which I can confirm that Chris is right, below some pictures of the stitching and buckle.

Thanks everyone for helping!

greetings,
    Cydrych
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown German strap   Unknown German strap  

Unknown German strap   Unknown German strap