Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle

Article about: This SMLE my grandfather gave me when I was 16 and just obtained a gun licence. That was several decades ago. He had bought it from the NZ Army in 1947 (I have the receipt he received from t

Default 1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle

This SMLE my grandfather gave me when I was 16 and just obtained a gun licence. That was several decades ago. He had bought it from the NZ Army in 1947 (I have the receipt he received from the Army) and had it set up for target shooting with addition of Parker Hale peep sight. About 30 years later I used the rifle at the same shooting range he when where there were targets up to 800 yards. It shot very nicely. Haven't used it much since but hope to past it on to my son who is interested. The rifle is fully functional.
    The only other modification is the butt stock is not original, I had it fitted as my grandfather being a short man used a "bantam butt", slightly shorter in length and seen on floor. He had that fitted after buying the rifle.
    Matching numbers on bolt and rifle. Hope you enjoy!

1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle

A few more photos;

1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle1941 Lithgow SMLE Target Rifle

The webbing sling is dated 1916.

Lovely Mate. How I miss my old '16 .303

Very nice Anderson. Beautiful condition and great story behind it. I have always loved these rifles but have not yet had the opportunity to fire one. I live about an hour and a half away from the Lithgow Small Arms factory and pass it quite regularly while travelling to a heritage railway that I volunteer with.

I have a 1915 Lee Enfield bayonet (unfortunately without the hooked quillion) and it has a 1915 7th Australian Light Horse scabbard with it. My grandfather got it from a army surplus store when he was a kid so probably in the early 20’s. My great grandfather was in the 1st Australian Light Horse and was involved in most of the WW1 desert campaigns.

Andy

Great to have a rifle to pass down. nice condition as well. I still think these rifles shoot and handle real good. they are just a good all rounder still.

That's a lovely rifle... the 'smelly', along with the No4, are probably the finest bolt-action military rifles ever made. Maybe not the strongest locking lugs, but certainly the fastest bolt to manipulate!

Cheers,
    Steve

Yes, they use to say "10 rounds in ten seconds" for a trained rifleman. It's true. And very reliable.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yes, they use to say "10 rounds in ten seconds" for a trained rifleman. It's true. And very reliable.
    A fully trained pre-WW1 rifleman was capable of up to 30 aimed shots a minute... an exercise known as : 'The mad minute'.

?

Excellent rifle Anderson. Add to that ,It was passed down to you and now it will be passed down to your son. Hopefully he will then pass it down to his son. Nothing beats having Great Grandpa's rifle.
    I like the parker hale sighting set up.It looks like it would make for some precise shooting.

That is one rifle I need to add to my collection to go with my Australian SLAZ 44 Orange Arsenal P07 bayonet! They are not found in very good condition here locally.

Semper Fi
    Phil