Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1945 Springfield Armory M1 Garand buy opinions

Article about: Great battle rifle IMO,was lucky to find it,was surprised it had original parts.

Thanks Robyn!Yes trigger housing is early post war, might replace with a correct one,easy to find.But Springfield did use some older marked parts on rifles in 45,the 12SA bolt might be correct.There is an original all correct as issued 1945 Garand sold on CMP ,still in factory cosmoline.Bolt was SA14 and stock GAW,an ealier stock and bolt,just proof of earlier parts being used up in production.It sold for over 7k.I know some collectors that changed parts on their collector firearms because the"book" said they were incorrect,only to find out after more info came out,the parts they changed were original!This would be a good candidate for restoration anyway, if I wanted to.

I think it's a great piece. No, I wouldn't change the bolt. Sorry if I came off sounding like that's what I meant. Many parts on the M1s could be 3 to 6 months off from the receiver or barrel date and still be original to that weapon. Wasn't unusual at all. Like you say, there are many instances like that...and even in Duff's book he points some of them out, too. I'm just a nerd about the M1s and like to look up the data for pieces when I see them. It's a bit of fun for me. They're by far my favorite WWII firearm.

Thanks Loyal,!No offense taken, most collecters go by the book,but when they made these they werent worried about future collectors and correct parts.But I understand the changed triggerguard makes you wonder what else was.It should have the type 3 battle lock bar sight,not sure when they ended that but close,not making a case for it,it is what it is,didnt pay correct price anyway.Might leave it as is.

Great looking rifle.

Dos
    ?

One of the best, great acquisition! Ping*

Old Marine Reunited with his M1 Garand after 71 years - YouTube

-Dos

Very nice gun and a great price. You are hard pressed to beat a Garand! I have one with a worn out barrel that's still a tack driver (for a battle rifle that is).

Thanks guys,appreciate it!

Wonderful rifle!

Very nice TC! Still amazes me how you come up with these beautiful pieces and pay lower than what you usually see them go for!!
    Very nice to have one with original stock and uncut op rod!
    As for the sights you have T105 rear sight on now and as you said it would have originally been the type 3 lock-bar. The T105s came out late 40s early early 50s I believe. They are easier to adjust and stay tighter on the weapon since you don’t have to loosen the pinion to adjust for wind age and elevation.
    Is your gas cylinder lock screw single slot or X? Those were the two main parts that were replaced after WWII even on rifles that didn’t see much use.

Thanks guys!08,I am pretty sure the lock screw is the X,have to dig it out.Yeah most op rods are replaced with the cut type.Looks like the barrel, stock ,and op rod at least are probably original to the rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast