Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Colt clone

Article about: Here's another Spanish copy of the Colt model 1873. This one has a five inch barrel and is in .44 Winchester. While not as well made as the genuine Colt, the frame at least is a better desig

Default Another Colt clone

Here's another Spanish copy of the Colt model 1873. This one has a five inch barrel and is in .44 Winchester. While not as well made as the genuine Colt, the frame at least is a better design by way of the fact that the backstrap is an integral part of the frame rather than being held in place by screws. Unlike the genuine Model 1873, the second 'click' of the hammer does not allow free rotation of the cylinder. There is no way of knowing how old it is, but production of these guns started circa 1880's. It is completely devoid of any marks apart from the serial number - which is impressed on several parts. The Spanish gunsmiths didn't start using proof marks until 1923, so at least I know it dates from before then. The holster is something I picked up cheap (£27) on fleabay some months ago, and is actually a twin holster rig - although I only have the one on the belt. Conchos are in the style of the Navajo and are silver plated. Both holster and belt show considerable wear, and I do not believe this was made for a western enthusiast. The condition of the rig kind of matches the condition of the pistol - which admittedly has seen better days - but is still a nice vintage piece.

These guns were often referred to as Mexican Colt copies because so many of them were retailed south of the border. Many found there way in to the U.S. where many a poor cowhand who couldn't afford a genuine Colt would purchase them.

Cheers,
    Steve

Another Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt cloneAnother Colt clone

?

That is the actual definition of a "Nice Piece" Congrats
    Regards, Al

Awesome looking Colt clone and holster! Thanks for the history of the piece. Be interesting to learn more concerning the gun. Like how the gun has walnut stocks like the original 1873 early made Colts. Believe Colt switched to hard rubber grips around 1885? Thanks for showing.

Well done Harry!

MAP
    ?

Never seen one of these clones before. Very interesting. Nice piece.

I really like the rig too. A great find.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Never seen one of these clones before. Very interesting. Nice piece.

I really like the rig too. A great find.
    My wife isn't too happy with the rig... it has a distinct musty smell, and whatever I do, it won't shift it!

Cheers,
    Steve

Sure does look like a dead ringer for the old Colt. Use to think all the old westerns on TV used Colts. Not so. Many of the Single actions used on programs like Gunsmoke were made by Great Western that made Colt clones in the 50s and 60s. Yours was definitely a pleasure to see!

?

Nice Six Shooter Steve!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

I wonder why they called it a six shooter when they only ever loaded five shells?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I wonder why they called it a six shooter when they only ever loaded five shells?
    Allowing the gun to be fully loaded without the hammer resting on the primer....or load 6 shells and have the hammer half cocked.

Cheers Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast