Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle

Article about: I am a helmet guy, and know NOTHING about firearms. one of my father’s cousins brought back a Japanese rifle (sans bolt) from Okinawa. He gave it to his brother and in 1972 his brother gav

Default Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle

I am a helmet guy, and know NOTHING about firearms. One of my father’s cousins brought back a Japanese rifle (sans bolt) from Okinawa. He gave it to his brother and in 1972 his brother gave it me. Last week one of my cousins gave me this piece. His father in law brought it back when he came back from Korea in the early ‘50’s. No story with it. It is Japanese but beyond that I don’t have a clue. It is substantially shorter than the rifle from Okinawa, a smaller caliber, the front and rear sights are different, and there are other dissimilarities, but enough similarities to make me confident that it is Japanese. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle   Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle  

Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle   Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle  

Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle  

Just noticed - sorry for the “crocs with socks” - I guess I am an old man! Here are 2 more shots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle   Asking for Help re Japanese (?) Rifle  

You may have a Type 38 which I believe was 6.5 caliber. The Type 99 was in 7.7 caliber. I believe there was also a shorter version for paratroops. My knowledge is limited on Japanese guns but others with more knowledge will chime in soon I am sure. Milsurp weapons are highly collectible these days.

I agree with Mauser9 that it is a carbine version of the Type 38 rifle. The mum on the receiver has been scrubbed, and below where the mum had been are teh Japanese characters for "38". The circles on the side of the receiver represent the stacked cannonballs mark, indicating it was manufactured at Kokura Arsenal.

Type 38 carbine with the Imperial Chrysanthemum removed.

Thank you gentlemen. I guess I need to find a stock and the hardware to attach it. Any suggestions? Thanks again. Jim G.

?

the rear sight is a dead give away, TYPE-38, in 6.5M/M.

Stocks, in general are tough to find and are expensive. They show up on fleabay and GunBroker once in a while and if complete seem to end up over $300 plus ship. The monetary value would not be worth the restoration but the historical value might be. I would doubt that it came back as is though. There were too many available not to have brought back a complete rifle IMHO.
    John