MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Aussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded project

Article about: I've a little winter project; retro convert my old Lithgow (1942) No 1 MkIII* hunting rifle back to 1942 military specs. It just so happens that 40 years ago my grandfather gave me the compl

Thanks Dan, that's interesting. Both my rifles seem to have stocks made from the same timber. I had a feeling it was Coachwood, but I'm not sure. What is noticable is quite nice yellow "flecks" through the wood while other parts sections have light and dark brown colour.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Thanks Dan, that's interesting. Both my rifles seem to have stocks made from the same timber. I had a feeling it was Coachwood, but I'm not sure. What is noticable is quite nice yellow "flecks" through the wood while other parts sections have light and dark brown colour.

Anderson, that looks like beech to me. Almost identical pattern to the Danish beech wood stock on my M1.

The SMLE restoration is nearing completion. A few minor hardware bits still seeking but starting to look the part.

Aussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded project

Wow! It's looking very nice!

Project End; sporting rifle fully re-wooded, back to original spec.

From this;

To this;

Aussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded projectAussie SMLE sporter retro fully wooded project

That was a lot of fun! A couple off Lithgow Belles all dressed up.

They look excellent Anderson. Love to see these milsurps. Sure look like weighty beasts! Figured around 9-10 lbs? Got a hernia just lookin. LOL

Great to see completed. Looks outstanding!

It looks very nice!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3