Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Bren buttstock removal

Article about: This is probably really simple, but as it seems to be difficult I thought I would ask the experts on here I have a Mk1 Bren with the first series buttstock - when you remove the backing plat

?

Default Bren buttstock removal

This is probably really simple, but as it seems to be difficult I thought I would ask the experts on here

I have a Mk1 Bren with the first series buttstock - when you remove the backing plate at the back of the buttstuck, and then twist off the recoil spring tube top cap and remove the spring, the buttstock is still fixed to the lower receiver by the spring tube itself - presumably the top of the spring tube unscrews somehow from the back of the buttstock and then the buttstock can be separated from the lower receiver? If so, can anyone explain how the top of the tube is removed please, I assume the Bren multitool is needed as it looks like an unusual fixing assembly?

On the same topic, I have another mk1 Bren with the later buttstock, that appears to have a large screw head at the top of the recoil spring tube, and that is visible on the rear of the buttstock without removing the plate at the back of the buttstock - does this just unscrew and then the spring comes out and the buttstock can be removed from the lower receiver? I have tried unscrewing it, but it seems stuck, so want to make sure there is no 'special' removal method needed before exerting more force on it.

Many thanks guys for your help

Is there any good reason why you want to remove the butts? Is it just a matter of curiosity? There really isn't much to see once the butt is removed, and its much better to leave alone unless something needs fixing.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Thanks Guys - very helpful. To answer Harry’s question, I am stripping down and cleaning these two deacts, one seems to have rust on the spring tube and other seems really grimy, so just to do a proper strip down and clean.

The following diagram of the butt components is in Skennerton's 'Small Arms Identification Series,' this copy being for the .303 Bren LMG. For their size they are packed with very useful information, and if you can obtain a copy it would help you tremendously in understanding the Bren. If there are any other parts that you would like an exploded diagram of, then please let me know and I'll scan it for you.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Bren buttstock removal

?

This is really helpful, thanks

I did do quite a few Google searches on this, so really appreciate this info. Quick question, so part ‘38’ in the diagram is the part you need to unscrew with the Mk1 Bren combination tool to remove the buttstock? I did look at alternatives from my tools, but it appears to be a very curious form of tool interface needed to unscrew it - I guess that is why they replaced the whole thing with a single screw head on later variants...

Part 38 is... 'NUT, return spring tube, Mk 1.' I would still advise you not to try and remove the butt unless absolutely necessary, you should be able to judge the state of the return spring tube by simply removing the return spring and return spring rod. If the spring is coated in thick grease - which it should be - then the return spring tube will be fine. I was firing these guns when I was in the army cadets in the 1960's, and again in the early 1970's when I was a regular, and so I know the gun quite well. Apart from changing the return spring and/or the return spring rod, there should be no reason to remove the return spring nut. The only conceivable reason to remove the butt would be to replace because of damage. Its your gun to do as you like, but if I were you I would stick to basic field stripping - although that is extremely limited even for an old spec gun!

Cheers,
    Steve

I changed the butt on my Mk2 bren because it had the wrong one (the correct one was kindly given to me by M3Bobby). I have to say that it was a fiddly job and I panicked when the spring shot out. It was quite an effort to get it all back in place and I was getting worried at one point! I have to say that it looked a lot better for it but I won’t be doing it again.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I changed the butt on my Mk2 bren because it had the wrong one (the correct one was kindly given to me by M3Bobby). I have to say that it was a fiddly job and I panicked when the spring shot out. It was quite an effort to get it all back in place and I was getting worried at one point! I have to say that it looked a lot better for it but I won’t be doing it again.
    If your gun had matching numbers to butt group and body group, regardless of the model of the gun you have, then I would respectfully suggest that your Bren had the 'right' butt - although it was the wrong type to find on that model of gun. The fact that it had what a collector perceives to be the wrong butt for that gun, it was probably the 'right' butt for your particular gun. You will never know why the butt was changed, it could have been because of combat damage - and perhaps the only available spare was the one that was on it when you got it. But if the gun is matching numbers, you have taken away part of its history by changing the butt. It will probably look more pleasing to you for it, because it now looks how it should look. But do you ever wonder why the wrong butt was on it?

Cheers,
    Steve

?

<Apart from changing the return spring and/or the return spring rod, there should be no reason to remove the return spring nut. The only conceivable reason to remove the butt would be to replace because of damage. Its your gun to do as you like, but if I were you I would stick to basic field stripping - although that is extremely limited even for an old spec gun!>

Short answer is that there seems to be some bad rusting on the spring casing tube and charging handle casing within the buttstock, so I want to remove it to get proper access so it can be treated. I agree that generally with my collection (deacts only), I tend to avoid unnecessary disassembly...