Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Bren gun Mk1 Modified

Article about: A recent pick purchase of mine was a Bren Mk1 (Modified). The 'Pattern A' guns with the double dovetail are now extremely difficult to obtain, and even the simplified version made by Enfield

Default Bren gun Mk1 Modified

A recent purchase of mine was a Bren Mk1 (Modified). The 'Pattern A' guns with the double dovetail are now extremely difficult to obtain, and even the simplified version made by Enfield is going the same way. Even the UK/EU spec guns are now going for silly prices. so when I saw this example being sold at a very reasonable price by a well known Cheshire arms dealer, it was too good an opportunity to miss.

Following the disastrous losses of weapons at Dunkirk, the Enfield company re-evaluated the way they produced the Bren gun 'Pattern A', and came up with a simplified version that helped to increase production by around 5%. The second dovetail and some of the machining used to reduce the overall weight of the gun were dropped, and the Mk1* barrel with better gas regulator was introduced. generally speaking, there was little change to the appearance of the gun. Although designated the Mk1 Modified, it didn't appear to be referred to as that.

Bren gun Mk1 Modified

This particular example is quite worn, the numbers to the butt group and body group do not match, but both are in the 'H' range for 1941 production. Much of the bluing to the body group is there, but that and the butt group have a worn coating of olive drab paint. This would suggest to me that even though butt group and body group are a mismatch, they have been together a very long time. The non adjustable bipod is of the Mk1 design, but is of John Inglis production - as is the drum on the rear sight - although the rest of the sight is all Enfield manufacture. It could be an indicator of field repairs, but you can never be sure... maybe just wishful thinking on my part! There is also a repair date stamp of '43' just below the original '41' stamp. Deactivation is to the new UK/EU spec, but it has been done so sympathetically as to be sailing very close to the wind. The portion of the breech block seen through the magazine housing has only two very small blobs of weld to supposedly stop a loaded magazine being inserted, it does do that - but only just! The piston assembly is also largely intact, so there is no empty space seen when the gun is viewed from the underside via the empty case ejection port.

Bren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 Modified

Average life expectancy of the barrel was between 12,000 and 15,000 rds, and generally speaking, the weapon was extremely reliable. Magazines came in a metal box which held 12 magazines, with the handle of the box offset so that two could be carried in one hand - although with a combined weight for two boxes at over 70lbs, nobody was going to carry them much more than a few yards! Each magazine loaded with 28rds weighed 2.75lbs.

One of the last variants of the .303 Bren was the Mk3 which was introduced in 1944. With a shorter barrel which was also thinner in profile, and various lightening cuts to the body, the weight of the gun was reduced to 19lbs 5oz. But weight saving came at a loss in other area's, and the thinner barrel was only good for between 7,000 and 10,000 rds. I've pictured my Mk1 next to my Mk3 for comparisons. There are also some further pictures of my Mk3. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Bren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 ModifiedBren gun Mk1 Modified

Very nice Steve!! I’ve always loved the Bren and would love to have one but never pulled the trigger on getting one.

?

Excellent Steve!
    I think it looks great.
    A true classic of WW2 and beyond!!
    I have never had the opportunity to handle one of these but always thought they were very unique with the side mounted sites due to the mag location.

Nice photo op with the MKII Sten with it!!!!
    Now one of those I've shot.
    Congrats on adding that one to the collection.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Very nice congrats!

Very nice Bren gun, Congratulations! I would also like to obtain a working one but out of my price range in the US.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Very nice Bren gun, Congratulations! I would also like to obtain a working one but out of my price range in the US.
    John
    Sadly, the only way we can own them these days is as a deact. There was a time when they could be legally owned converted to semi auto - and even on a shotgun certificate if the rifling had been removed, but those days are long gone. A beautiful weapon to fire, and supremely accurate too... some would say it was too accurate for a machine gun!

Cheers,
    Steve

PRE
    ?

Really, really nice one, congratulations! A true classic.

A couple of days ago I was reading an account of a former Rhodesian soldier who used the Bren in semi-auto mode due to it's accuracy, and at a time when the regular issue was the FN MAG.

Pat

Quote by PRE View Post
    Really, really nice one, congratulations! A true classic.

A couple of days ago I was reading an account of a former Rhodesian soldier who used the Bren in semi-auto mode due to it's accuracy, and at a time when the regular issue was the FN MAG.

Pat
    Hi Pat,

The gun was often used for sniping due to its inherent accuracy. But some Bren machine gunners used to prefer a worn barrel when firing in bursts, so that the rounds spread further apart.

Cheers,
    Steve