Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Browning M1919A4 (Israeli Conversion)

Article about: Hello folks, long time no post! I’ve not recently been as active on the forum as I used to be, due mainly to a long-awaited house move finally taking place last summer. It’s taken time,

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Very nice addition BB.
    Looks great.
    Can you rack the charging handle back?
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Yes, it cocks and goes ‘click’. It can even grab a belt of ammunition, it just can’t feed it. It disassembles too, but I’m not familiar enough with these to give it a try just yet.

B.B.

Looks alot tidier than my own example BB. Have you got a tripod or is that the next purchase?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Looks alot tidier than my own example BB. Have you got a tripod or is that the next purchase?
    It’s on the seemingly endless list of ‘things I need to get’. I may go looking for one at W&P this year, assuming it’s still on and I can actually get the time off to go.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Fifty bucks, I wish! It’s more like five months of layaway payments these days! Worth every penny, though.

B.B.
    Ha! ya didn't catch it!

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Ha! ya didn't catch it!
    Think I might be a bit wet behind the ears for that one!

B.B.

?

Hi BB

I have one some similar and did disassemble it when I first got it for a good clean-up and protective wipe down in oil (all under the guidance of a YouTube video on my phone!). But I recall there is a spring under tension in the breach that will go 'boing' if you are not careful, also it is easy (or at least was for me) to put the charging handle back so the rim was on the outside, not inside, so it fell out easily, and it took me some time to figure out what I had done LOL!.

I think this is an iconic gun, esp in the 'Kelly's Heroes' air cooled WW2 guise, but it is not as ergonomic, or user friendly to handle as a Bren, or MG34/42, presumably because of its earlier heritage. I have the same feelings on the BAR, it is iconic, but an incredibly uncomfortable gun to handle and pick up to 'fire' etc. Again, the curious fact that a nation as economically and technically advanced as the US was still using HMGs from WW1 twenty years (and more into Korea) after everyone else had moved on.

I’d imagine they stuck with them simply because of how robust they were. Machine guns of the WWI era were known to run continuously in rough conditions without many stoppages - the British Vickers, for example - and with that kind of pedigree it’s understandable why they’d want to hang onto it. Its postwar use up to the present day in some cases is testament to that. It’s the old adage: ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.

Obviously they were outclassed in terms of portability by things like the Bren and MG 34/42, but those were different weapons meant for different roles. As a support weapon, the M1919 did its job well, in American service and onwards in various guises. They were mainly relegated to vehicle-mounted roles in their latter years anyway, which is where they proved the most useful. Weight isn’t so much of an issue if a tank or helicopter is doing the heavy lifting for you!

B.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2