Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Couple of WW2 Handguns to share!

Article about: Hello all! Felt like sharing a few of my handguns from my small collection. 1942(ish?) Browning Hipower or 9mm 640(b) if you please and a BYF 42 Luger P08. The Hipower and holster were suppo

Right on vege!!!

And Richard, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference when shooting. Unfortunately, i picked up both guns when ammo was going insanely high and I don't have a whole lot of 9mm, so I can't do heavy duty testing. I will say the toggle on the luger can be a little disorienting at first with your sight picture, but the browning is just so smooth, it's hard to beat. My only issue with both weapons have been magazine springs, but that's not the weapons fault.

?

brennan909, yes, I feel the same also. CLOSET QUEENS are great to show off to friends. but in the back of your head you are afraid if you shoot it at 75+ yrs old something is going to break & it will not be a beauty / closet, origionally piece any more. it will rely loose it's value. jmho.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    The luger is a shooter as you say, but the P35 is lovely. I carried an Inglis for years and love and trust them in equal amounts.
    I too have masses of experience with the Hi-Power (not the MkI obviously) during my own service and although some people (who complain about everything) used to criticise it I had zero trouble with it. I am sure I must have had a stoppage on occasion but the point is I just don't recall a single one (apart from occasional weak extraction likely due to the ammo) so it really could never have been an issue. Unlike my German colleagues with their much more precisely machined Walthers et al that seemed to misbehave if the sun went in!!

I would love to shoot one again

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-01-2021 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,
    I got to shoot one and a Sterling a couple of years ago. They are still a delight. Both of those are magazine fussy and deformed feed lips cause a whole lot of problems.

Oh, and the members of Her Majesties Forces will remember that it was essential to have a happy finger for the unload. The amount of ND's I investigated because of the disconnect was staggering!

R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Mark,
    I got to shoot one and a Sterling a couple of years ago. They are still a delight. Both of those are magazine fussy and deformed feed lips cause a whole lot of problems.

Oh, and the members of Her Majesties Forces will remember that it was essential to have a happy finger for the unload. The amount of ND's I investigated because of the disconnect was staggering!

R
    Hahaha, yes I could never quite understand how people got the drills wrong!

I remember a member of 1st Bn Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders (an infantry unit not routinely used to using pistols) shooting himself in the leg in Northern Ireland because he mixed up the make safe and make ready drills which was odd because the L1A1 rifle drill was essentially the same Must have been a size issue

Yes a "good fingering" never really meant the same to us regular pistoleers

Or maybe it was the training. During my basic training the "carrott and stick" method was still en vogue; If you got it wrong the instructor hit you with a stick, otherwise he just hit you with a carrot Sometimes the old ways are the best!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post

Yes a "good fingering" never really meant the same to us regular pistoleers

Regards

Mark

Still does not mean the same thing. The thread is totally derailed now.

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Still does not mean the same thing. The thread is totally derailed now.
    Rescue190,

That is a bit unkind to Mark, (poor old fellow ). For the uninitiated the Browning Hi-Power, (AKA The Browning P35) was fitted with a magazine disconnect that would not allow the hammer to be 'dropped' if the magazine was removed. During the 'UNLOAD' this was highly problematic and the re-insertion of a magazine to release the working parts was fraught with danger, (Officers in particular would re-insert a loaded magazine and then shoot various un-offending objects). The use of the central digit to over-ride this was a drill taught by the British Army and selected others for many years.

When taken in the correct context the statement is perfectly correct . Double entendres are a staple in British humour and to us serving soldiers and our esteemed Veterans the use of humour that enabled us to survive through numerous tours of duty, (I'm up to 14 now) is ingrained to the point of being a mandatory action and long may we be able to.

Not derailed but shunted in a siding for a bit of nostalgia and light relief before recommencing the journey.

R

I'll be honest vege, when I first handled the browning, I thought I broke the damn thing due to the magazine not being in the weapon and being unable to get the hammer to drop after clearing it. An odd feature but that seems to be a trend now with my collection (my type 14 nambu requires the magazine to be removed have the slide unlock when empty, and it snaps forward upon mag release).

Quote by brennan909 View Post
    I'll be honest vege, when I first handled the browning, I thought I broke the damn thing due to the magazine not being in the weapon and being unable to get the hammer to drop after clearing it. An odd feature but that seems to be a trend now with my collection (my type 14 nambu requires the magazine to be removed have the slide unlock when empty, and it snaps forward upon mag release).
    It is a feature that if you don't know about it you probably would take a long time working it out but it is actually a good safety feature. The design calls for the mag to be reinserted in order to drop the hammer but it was common practice to just use the middle finger (hence the witiscisms) but not everyone has a long enough finger to do it which can cause issues in itself!

Regards

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2