Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Deactivated M1 Garands UK/EU

Article about: Hi everyone I was wondering if there were any other M1 Gasn enthusiasts on this forum who also collect Deactivated M1 garands? I have several in my collection and I only collect Pre war and

Quote by GarandGuy93 View Post
    I think you maybe misinformed mate. No sight of anything like that happening.

Scott
    I'm only quoting what was posted on the site below and from what a dealer told me. All the deacts I own are old spec and I am in no hurry to have them made into total scrap when they pose no threat to anyone. I posted the quote above to highlight the quandary that collectors find themselves in. I hope as you, that our leaving the EU might help us regain some common sense. If not then many people have collections that are quite worthless.

Firearms Regulations 2019 - Militaria History

You would do better to visit the government website and look up the laws applicable to deactivated firearms rather than listen to the likes of 'Military History'. Even World Wide Arms will give you clearer information. All pre - 2016 deactivated weapons can be deactivated to the new specifications if you wish to (legally) sell them. Nothing has been said (yet) of what the Home Office would like to do with these weapons, and there is no requirement to register them. The rules only apply to EU spec guns.

Cheers,
    Steve

The same in France, I have one MG 42, 2010 Dea.
    If i keep it, no problem, If I want to sell it, new dea....So, I keep it.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

I do hope our withdrawal from the European Union puts paid to all this legislative nonsense, but something tells me it's only going to make things more complicated.

As mentioned above, most of the big dealers are openly selling UK-spec deacts. Others are doing it under the guise of selling to 'non-EU customers only', but I'll eat my left shoe if they aren't being sold to UK customers as well. With the EU law clearly specifying that older-specification deacts can be sold only to non-EU countries, and with the UK soon to be included on that list, any prosecutions under this new legislation would surely fall down in court, as one only has to point out the UK's non-member status to absolve themselves of the charges.

D&B Militaria is selling both EU- and UK-spec deacts, with it clearly explained on their site that buyers of EU-spec deacts will be added to the government register automatically. No mention of the UK-spec guns they're selling, so presumably those are flying under the radar as far as the register is concerned.

One thing is certain: I have no intention of purchasing another deact if it means being added to the register. The government has no business poking its nose into my private collection of scrap metal, and that's that.

Regards, B.B.

It is an uncomfortable situation with nobody seeming able to provide a definative ie legislative answer.

One thing I would say is that the mainstream dealers involved would be taking a huge risk if they had not first consulted legal advice to some degree to ensure that they were not commisioning an offence of "supplying" or of some weird apparition such as assisting, procuring or being "concerned with" such is the inpredictable murk of our laws (trust me I know). In many cases before legal precedent is set the issue is often settled by case law or even "test cases".

I would like to think that the EU legislature will be given the "two fingered salute" because "out is out" right?

However, I shall not be holding my breath when a "knee-jerk" reaction can be such a good short term vote winner to the ignorant and PC Brigade who believe there is a murdering terrorist in everyone of us honest collectors and that anything they don't immediately recognise as "absolutely super" simply must be criminally dangerous!

Anyway, just as BB says I won't buy anything that will entail telling Big Brother any more about me than he already knows (too much IMO). Having said that I also believe that the "register" will be totally redundant as it will be impossible to resource the policing (and I suspect the accurate maintenance) of it thus building in an inherent unreliability so as to make it worthless anyway.

We shall see.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

[QUOTE=HARRY THE MOLE;2097158] Even World Wide Arms will give you clearer information. [QUOTE]

2020 Winner of "insightful comment of the year"

And here I was labouring under the misapprehension that they were less than "well informed and reliable"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

[QUOTE=Watchdog;2097361][QUOTE=HARRY THE MOLE;2097158] Even World Wide Arms will give you clearer information.

2020 Winner of "insightful comment of the year"

And here I was labouring under the misapprehension that they were less than "well informed and reliable"

Regards

Mark
    They give short - but quite good information on the deactivation laws as they currently stand on their website. As an aside... and I won't mention the well known dealer of deactivated arms, I purchased a deactivated Yugoslavian M56 smg last year at the bargain price of £295. I was lead to believe that it was current EU/UK spec - although admittedly it did not say one way or the other what spec it was - but it certainly didn't say: 'Non EU residents only'. But when it arrived it turned out to be UK spec. This is the only UK spec gun that I currently have, and I am quite happy to keep it and see what happens in the future. I dare say that at at some future date the EU will change their specs again, but by that time we should be well and truly out of the mess that is the EU.

Cheers,
    Steve

[QUOTE=HARRY THE MOLE;2097366][QUOTE=Watchdog;2097361]
    Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Even World Wide Arms will give you clearer information.

They give short - but quite good information on the deactivation laws as they currently stand on their website.
    Hi Steve, yes they do. It's just that I find it hard to regard as an accurate souce of information anyone who sells "genuine Nazi pocket knives" or thinks it is less than sharp practice to describe repro swords etc by using the qualification "style" instead of copy and only admits that his Sten bayonets are less than kosher when you trap him against the side of his tent and say to him "these are repro right?" Anyway, don't want to stray too far from the topic but it really is a case of "Caveat emptor"!!

Regards

Mark

I couldn't agree with you more Mark. The best that can be said of some of his wares, is that you have to read between the lines with his descriptions... Even my airsoft Sten can claim to be of a correct pattern!

?

Interesting. I can see it being obsolete calibre that is next to go .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast