Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Enfield No4 Mk1* Longbranch Markings Help

Article about: Hello everyone! I’m trying to figure out what some of the markings mean on my new enfield I picked up. I have a book on it, but a lot of the markings on mine I’m unable to figure out. An

?

Default Enfield No4 Mk1* Longbranch Markings Help

Hello everyone! I’m trying to figure out what some of the markings mean on my new enfield I picked up. I have a book on it, but a lot of the markings on mine I’m unable to figure out. Any help would be appreciated!

Enfield No4 Mk1* Longbranch Markings HelpEnfield No4 Mk1* Longbranch Markings Help
    What does the F2 amd M stand for?
    Enfield No4 Mk1* Longbranch Markings HelpEnfield No4 Mk1* Longbranch Markings Help
    What are these stock markings? I couldn’t find anything on them
    This one looks to be the crown proof but missing half the crown
    This one looks to have the Longbranch logo, but maybe some other stamps?

Well it's a Canadian made No.4 Mk1*, made at Longbranch (near Toronto) in 1943. The 37L/0995 number is a Longbranch serial number. This serial should also be on the bolt. The "England" mark indicates it was exported post WW2 from Britain to the US under a commercial contract, not a military mark. It is likely the rifle was sent to Britain during WW2, and later was refurbished at "F" (Fazakerley ROF), The marks on the bolt look like Canadian. The butt stock marks some are Longbranch, not sure the rest. I have a 1942 Longbranch No.4 Mk1* to compare.

?

Hi Anderson, thanks so much for your reply. So I wasn’t sure if it was factory refurbished because I read usually they would electro pencil “FTR” on the rifle somewhere when that was done. The serial numbers do all match on the bolt, stock, and band. It has been hard to decipher this one as I couldn’t find some of the markings anywhere. Appreciate your insight.