Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French/German MAB Model C Pistol

Article about: French/German MAB Model D pistol produced under the German occupation of France Waffenamt WaA251 Cal. 7.65mm .32Automatic...BILL

Default French/German MAB Model C Pistol

French/German MAB Model D pistol produced under the German occupation of France Waffenamt WaA251 Cal. 7.65mm .32Automatic...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French/German MAB Model C Pistol   French/German MAB Model C Pistol  

Last edited by Bill Grist; 08-27-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: French/German MAB Model C Pistol

beauty.....is this similar to the fn 1922?

This looks like it may be a MAB model D rather than a MAB model C. The MAB C is a smaller version of the MAB D, with a smaller slide and frame grip. They had many parts in common, and there is even a MAB C/D, with a MAB D slide mounted on a MAB C frame (although the slide is still inscribed "Modele C").

During the German occupation of France MAB continued to operate under German control, supplying the German military with about 50,000 MAB Ds and about 2,600 MAB Cs, both models in 7.65mm / .32ACP.

Bill

MAB D:

MAB C:

MAB C/D:

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    French/German MAB Model C pistol produced under the German occupation of France Waffenamt WaA251 Cal. 7.65mm .32Automatic...BILL

ano2man
    ?

Hello! I'm new to this forum and have a weapon i'm trying to find out more information about. It is a French Unique pistol, 7.65.

I'm interested in any information someone might have about this weapon. It is in fair condition. I have been researching but cannot find an exact picture that is the same. It has appearances of an MAB but the grips do not match.
    Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French/German MAB Model C Pistol   French/German MAB Model C Pistol  

French/German MAB Model C Pistol   French/German MAB Model C Pistol  

Nice pistols, guys.........!

'Unique' is a Spanish copy,
    Both are variations of the J. M. Browning design.
    Regards,

Steve.

ano2man
    ?

Do you have any idea where I might be able to find out more about this pistol? How to ID its manufacture date, what it is worth, where to buy parts, etc? Another question that I have is there is no rear or front sights; is this normal or missing them? A friend of ours gave me the gun from her father's estateand I'm just wanting to learn more about it.

Thanks, Jeff

i believe you just look down the barrel, one of those point and shoot and hope you hit something kind of guns
    Quote by ano2man View Post
    Do you have any idea where I might be able to find out more about this pistol? How to ID its manufacture date, what it is worth, where to buy parts, etc? Another question that I have is there is no rear or front sights; is this normal or missing them? A friend of ours gave me the gun from her father's estateand I'm just wanting to learn more about it.

Thanks, Jeff

This is a MAPF (La Manufacture d'Armes des Pyrénées Françaises) model 20, which is a longer gripped/larger magazine version of the model 19 (sort of like the difference between the MAB C and C/D). The model 20 holds 9 rounds while the model 19 holds 7. The model 19 & 20 were made 1932-1939, and were influenced by the Browning 1910. I've attached a photo of a model 19.

"Unique" was originally a trade name for MAPF, although MAPF was eventually (in the 1960s?) renamed Unique. MAPF was founded by Jose Uria in 1923, and (renamed Unique) went out of business in 2004. It was originally located in Behobie but moved to the nearby city of Hendaye in the late 1920s. Both cities are in the Basque region of France, very close to the Spanish border, and MAPF is known to have had some pistols made in the Eibar area of the Basque region of Spain. (Eibar is about 25 miles from Hendaye, and was and remains a major arms producing region of Spain -- think of Star, Llama, Astra, Ruby, etc.) As far as I know, however, the model 19 and 20 were only made in Hendaye; your pistol lacks any Spanish and Eibar proof marks, which were standard on weapons made in the Eibar area starting in the 1920s.

While in the late 20th century years Unique concentrated on making target pistols (some very expensive), in these early years it was producing the usual range of Browning and Walther influenced designs for commercial and police use. The lack of external front and rear sights (ie, the use of a sighting groove) is not uncommon on these.

Similarities to MAB pistols, especially the MAB C & D, is not surprising -- MAB was also in the Basque region of France, about 20 miles north of Hendaye in Bayonne, and also had strong ties to the Eibar area. The MAB C & D also began production in 1933 and were influenced by the Browning 1910.

What's the s/n of your pistol and where is it located? Usually these were on the right side of the frame above the trigger or on the tang behind the grip, but they sometimes moved around.

Bill

Quote by ano2man View Post
    Hello! I'm new to this forum and have a weapon i'm trying to find out more information about. It is a French Unique pistol, 7.65.

I'm interested in any information someone might have about this weapon. It is in fair condition. I have been researching but cannot find an exact picture that is the same. It has appearances of an MAB but the grips do not match.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Gun Shy; 09-03-2010 at 07:38 PM.

teiko41
    ?

Gun Shy

I have my eye on a Unique Model 19. Looks the same as the picture you posted. I like to collect pistosl that were used or likely to have been used in WWII. Trying to get info on this pistol is next to impossible. What book do you recommend that would ID all the parts, date of manufacture, etc.

Excellent iconic French pistols...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast