Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

G43 with extended magazine help

Article about: I have a duv44 G43,would like to find an original extended mag for it.There is a pic of one in Hitlers Garands book on a duv44.Does anyone out there know of one for sale?They made a 20 and 3

Default G43 with extended magazine help

I have a duv44 G43,would like to find an original extended mag for it.There is a pic of one in Hitlers Garands book on a duv44.Does anyone out there know of one for sale?They made a 20 and 30 rd. but experimental and not many were made ,should have looked for one 35 years ago,better chance of finding one than today.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture G43 with extended magazine help   G43 with extended magazine help  

G43 with extended magazine help   G43 with extended magazine help  

Last edited by Toecutter; 10-25-2020 at 02:55 AM.

?

Wish I'd seen one.It would be a pleasure to help add to the stunning collection you've shown on the forum.
    I will keep my internet eyes peeled.

Thanks Kateri,appreciate it!The stock has a burn mark on the wrist but no cracks.Been issued for sure but all matching and survived better than most of these.DUV was the only maker that used the red DURAFOL bakelite handguard.Made from resin and wood pulp much like some late p38 grips.These were tough and didnt crack as bad as the wood ones.They look great under bright light too!ha Scope , mount and bands are original .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture G43 with extended magazine help   G43 with extended magazine help  

G43 with extended magazine help   G43 with extended magazine help  

I'm afraid I can't help &, as you say, suspect it would be hard to find an original.

If just having the appearance of one was enough, would it be possible to have an MG13 mag modified in the same way as one of the experimental designs? While I am slightly loathed to suggest 'cutting up' one of those, they seem to be relatively plentiful (& there seem to be fairly cheap, perhaps post war, examples around on this side of the pond at least) & it would be interesting to create an extended mag G43!

I can't quite see what was done from the photographs but, as long as you didn't alter capacity / 'box' itself, it may just entail catch lugs etc & even be reversible.

?

Hi,
    I had one similar mag (see pic).
    But it was a combination of a G43 and a MG13 magazine: the MG13 mag has been cut and welded properly on the upper part of the G43 mag.
    Firing was ok, no stoppages!
    I don't possess those guns anymore, so I can't provide better pictures of the item.

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    I have a duv44 G43,would like to find an original extended mag for it. There is a pic of one in Hitlers Garands book on a duv44. ...
    Quote by Narcis View Post
    Hi,
    I had one similar mag (see pic).
    But it was a combination of a G43 and a MG13 magazine: the MG13 mag has been cut and welded properly on the upper part of the G43 mag.
    Firing was ok, no stoppages!
    Interesting... if it is possible to weld top & bottom 'halves' together, that shows the G43 & MG13 mags are obviously quite close in cross-section. That doesn't appear to be what happened on the one shown in the photo of the book page, which just seems to have additional / altered mag well & release 'lugs' on the MG13 'box'. I wonder if it was just easier for someone to produce that way than to make small 'machined' pieces?

Do you (Narcis) happen to recall what spring / follower was inside?

Thanks

Thanks guys,appreciate it!They do look cool!

?

Hi,
    The spring and the follower in my mag were those of the MG13. But the two last cartridges in my magazine were dummies because, if I remember good (35 years ago), they could not be chambered. The section of the G43 mag was to narrow and the follower of the MG13 could not get through that part of the magazine (guide in the spin).

Thanks Narcis!

I couldn't quite make out which mag was bigger in cross-section from the photo but that info suggests the MG13 mag was 'sleeved' over the G43 one, rather than just being "butt welded". That might make life 'interesting' if just adapting an MG13 mag with different 'lugs'... it suggests the 'cut & shut' was necessary for mag well clearance, rather than just manufacturing ability... the experiments might have used modified rifles as well as the mags themselves!

Good luck Toecutter!

?

Hi,
    I sold my German stuff long ago, with some G43 and MG13 mags, so I can't compare the mags anymore. It is possible that it was sleeved on some millimeters.
    Good luck anyway.