Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Ortgies 290th Combat Engineer Bring Back

Article about: Staff Sergeant Walter O’Kinney was born on May 25, 1918. He was drafted in the U.S. Army on April 4, 1944 at age 26. His occupation prior to being drafted was a skilled welder. He was marr

Default German Ortgies 290th Combat Engineer Bring Back

Staff Sergeant Walter O’Kinney was born on May 25, 1918. He was drafted in the U.S. Army on April 4, 1944 at age 26. His occupation prior to being drafted was a skilled welder. He was married and had completed 3 years of high school. Walter received his basic training at Fort Dix located in New Jersey. His experience as a skilled welder was probably the reason why he was assigned to the 290th Combat Engineers. What were the duties of a combat engineer?
    An engineer combat battalion was a designation for a battalion-strength combat engineering unit in the U.S. Army, most prevalent during World War II. They are a component of the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
    Also known as "combat engineer battalions" (CEB), they were typically divided into four companies: A, B, C, and Headquarters and Service (H&S).
    Best known for pontoon bridge construction and clearing hazards in amphibious landings, their duties also included serving as sappers deploying and deactivating explosive charges and unexploded munitions, mapmaking, camouflage, and a wide variety of construction services supporting frontline troops. They also fielded defensive .30 cal. and .50 cal. machine gun squads, anti-tank rocket and grenade launchers, and were required to fight as infantry when needed.
    Combat engineers played important roles in numerous World War II battles, especially breaching the heavily fortified Siegfried Line protecting the German border and numerous defensive lines established by the Wehrmacht in Italy, including the Gustav Line. Among the most familiar for their heroism and contributions to establishing key bridgeheads in the European Theater was at the Ludendorff Bridge at the Battle of Remagen.
    Combat engineers also played roles in several unconventional operations, including the securing of elements of the German nuclear weapons program in Operation Big and recovery of stolen art and treasure subsequently returned to its original owners by the Monuments Men.
    The 290th (CEB) saw action in the E.T.O. and participated in the Battle of the Bulge, ending up in Berchtesgaden Germany.
    German Ortgies 290th Combat Engineer Bring BackGerman Ortgies 290th Combat Engineer Bring BackGerman Ortgies 290th Combat Engineer Bring BackGerman Ortgies 290th Combat Engineer Bring BackGerman Ortgies 290th Combat Engineer Bring Back

?

A very interesting piece and associated history. The most unique thing about the Ortgies is that it was designed to be assembled, and disassembled without any screws whatsoever, looks like Sergeant O’Kinney had to alter that to embellish it with the custom grips.

Cool history and items, thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Very nice. A type that I rarely hear about or see.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Guys!!

Default Some newspapers' clips

Greetings,

Thought you'd like to add a face to the name.

Best,

V/r Lance

and his obituary.

That's awesome! Thanks so much!