Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German P38 CYQ Identification

Article about: Hello I would like to know if any of you all could help me with this. I recently acquired a p38 cyq. Not sure if it is legit or rare? Not sure how to tell age and info on it. Thanks Here are

Default German P38 CYQ Identification

Hello I would like to know if any of you all could help me with this. I recently acquired a p38 cyq. Not sure if it is legit or rare? Not
    sure how to tell age and info on it. Thanks
    Here are some photos of it.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German P38 CYQ Identification  

'cyq' is the manufacturer's code for Spreewerk. They aren't particularly rare pistols, in fact they're known for having a slightly lower quality in terms of fit and finish. You'll notice the rather crude tooling marks on most of the metal parts. The good news is that yours appears to have its original finish, as indicated by the red 'F' safety indicator. Usually when these pistols are refinished, the red and white paint is covered over.

They're no less desirable or valuable than any other P38, though. Although collectors tend to prefer the Mauser- and Walther-made examples. ('byf' and 'ac' codes respectively). Walther and Mauser examples have the added benefit of a date code, allowing their year of manufacture to be easily identified. Spreewerk pistols lack this feature, but can be dated to the month of production by the serial number.

Here's mine, by the same manufacturer, produced in July 1944. This one has been refinished.

German P38 CYQ IdentificationGerman P38 CYQ Identification

Regards, B.B.

It looks good,the grips(by the color) look to be original for a u letter block cyq.Probably made around sept 44.These went into the second alphabet series early b block before production ended. .Check to make sure locking block has last 3 numbers of ser. no. and the u letter block.If gun is matching and bore is decent its worth about 750.00 IMO.Like Brodie said they have a rougher machine finish than Walther or Mauser but they are very collectable in their own right.The grips are different on cyqs than the other makers,having 5 broken lines around the grip screw instead of 6.The mag will have an eagle 88 mark on back of mag spine if the original mag.Here is my u block it has the later war "cog" hammer,does yours have this?I see yours has a milled slide hold open,not sure when they stopped that and went to the stamped one like is on mine but mine is a late u block.Brodies example is an r block and the milled hold open would be correct.cyq was the only maker to have a blued locking block,the other makers left them in the white.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German P38 CYQ Identification   German P38 CYQ Identification  

German P38 CYQ Identification   German P38 CYQ Identification  

Last edited by Toecutter; 06-12-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Nice gun. Brodie and Toecutter are spot on as usual.
    John

Will check on the hammer and serial numbers for what i can see is its all the same numbers, thanks for great info to check on, didnt know there were so many types

?

That was great info Guy's.
    The one that resides in my safe is in the e block of serial numbers(July 1943) and all I can say is the finish isn't any better than the later versions.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil,yeah I have a first alphabet a block that even has rough milling! The cog hammers were a later war improvement ,better grip with gloved hand,they are mixed with regular hammers on these later cyqs and seen on a few late Walthers, seems they used whatever stock was on hand .Never seen one on a Mauser p38.Here is a SVW 45(Mauser) with a stamped slide hold open, and an early ac45 with milled slide hold open,last a late ac45 with stamped slide hold open,all regular hammers on these.The stamped parts were cheaper and much faster to produce but still did the job. My cyq has all late production parts even though it was made in oct 44,the start of these stamped parts and "improved cog hammer".The stamped slide hold open was used on late mausers and cyqs,and on some very late Walthers .Yes a lot of variations on p38s,thats why I like collecting them,if you get bit by the p38 bug your cyq will have many brothers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German P38 CYQ Identification   German P38 CYQ Identification  

Last edited by Toecutter; 06-13-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Here is an early cyq in the a block,has the early extra extractor cut out ,better stamped proofs but still the rough finish,guess thats how they were!Look at the first proof on slide,there is a ghost stamp above the first 88 stamp like they hit it lightly too high then corrected.The eagle on the OP cyq slide was hit several times before they got it right,quality control was out the door on cyqs, thats what makes them so interesting.There is an arastick stamp on the OPs cyq slide,means it was first rejected and then put into service later,seen a lot of these on cyq frames and slides.

Last edited by Toecutter; 06-13-2018 at 03:44 AM.

spare a thought as to who made these pistols. By mid 1944 almost everything manufactured by the Third Reich was by the hand of slave labour, or "guest workers" who were effectively slaves. Also POW's were used such as Poles and French. All the machining and assembly was by slave labour in the late war period.