Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll

Article about: This is a late war p38 made by Mauser late in 1944.The war wasnt going well for Germany,Mauser introduced the cheaper quicker phosphate finish.And the blueing vats were getting over used and

Actually I read about a study the US did after the war where they wanted to determine the characteristics of different firearms used during the was. Amazingly enough the Japaneses Arisake came out on top in many way as it was found that the action of this firearm was able to withstand much higher pressures than was found using the recommended ammo. Not sure if this would apply to late war firearms or not as I don't know what changes were made to production late in the war.

I would have it in my collection!!!!!

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks guys!This is a live pistol not a deact.Its a GI bringback.Here are some pics outside in sunlight show a truer image.The camera flash in earlier pics over does it a little.This is the first letter block (b) that it started being seen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

?

My first time seeing one like this.
    Very interesting piece TC!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice to see ya scored again with a rarer one Toecutter. Notice the BYF for Oberndorf produced. Used to see more Lugers and P-38s many years back but not so much anymore. Thanks for sharing.

?

nice score!!

Thanks toot,yeah the german ww2 phosphate finish is unique ,never been perfectly copied by refinishers, .Here is an original Walther produced K43 scope mount,it has the phosphate finish, bands too,the scope ,locking lever,band screws and catch are blued.These mounts were rough, some say a concrete looking finish,thats one of the ways to tell an original from a fake,anyway too much info.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Thanks guys!This is a live pistol not a deact.Its a GI bringback.Here are some pics outside in sunlight show a truer image.The camera flash in earlier pics over does it a little.This is the first letter block (b) that it started being seen.
    Stunner! but I reckon ya should swap the grips with the red bakelite one's

Rene,the grips are 100% original.Mauser developed and started using these black shiney grips late in ww2.Most dual tones have them.The grips are phynolic resin and did not crack like the more brittle bakelite ones.An early form of modern plastic,and look great too!

Interesting point about the grip material TC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast