Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll

Article about: This is a late war p38 made by Mauser late in 1944.The war wasnt going well for Germany,Mauser introduced the cheaper quicker phosphate finish.And the blueing vats were getting over used and

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    Rene,the grips are 100% original.Mauser developed and started using these black shiney grips late in ww2.Most dual tones have them.The grips are phynolic resin and did not crack like the more brittle bakelite ones.An early form of modern plastic,and look great too!
    Hey Eric, I was kidding! plus I just learnt something, Cheers Mate.

Thanks guys!Mauser started p38 by44 in the q block of byf43 production instead of starting back to zero .The last byf43 was in the p block,Mauser is the only maker that did this and only in 1944,strange.Mauser p38 production ended in the second alphabet series f block before the factory was over run.Here is a u block byf44 with these grips,a bringback,about the earliest pistol I have seen with them.P38s are fun to collect,endless variations.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

Interesting late war P38,war took its toll   Interesting late war P38,war took its toll  

?

@ tc, You take a chance when you shoot these, I have a matching byf 44 maybe 4 mags ran through it in last 12 yrs, check here about what can happen to your p38 & also lots of info on them. Thinking about shooting your WW2 P.38? - P 38 & PP-PPK Collector Forum

Thanks for the heads up link zacker!Yeah dont think anything will happen shooting most war time p38s but there is always a chance it can break.I have test fired a lot of them with no problem,always use mild Winchester white box ammo,but after reading that link,and the money they bring, not a good idea.You can change recoil springs and all that but they are best left alone it seems,like you say why take a chance.Some people have to test fire even collector guns,a gun that dosent work they wont own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3