Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Israeli Galil SAR

Article about: I traded for this one recently, my first deactivated weapon in some time, and the first truly 'modern' one in my collection. A Galil SAR, the short-barreled variant which superseded the AR,

Default Israeli Galil SAR

I traded for this one recently, my first deactivated weapon in some time, and the first truly 'modern' one in my collection. A Galil SAR, the short-barreled variant which superseded the AR, and saw the longest service life of any Galil variant within the IDF. This one is ex-IDF issue, with the appropriate crest and Hebrew markings on the receiver. Deactivated to EU/UK specifications, it doesn't cock or dry fire, but can be stripped down to a degree.

This is the 5.56x45mm NATO version, with a 35-round magazine. There is also a variant chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO, with the magazine capacity shortened to 25 rounds. The 7.62 version also had a slightly longer barrel, 15.7 inches vs this variation's 13.1 inches. It has a bayonet lug, but ex-Israeli bayonets seem to be nonexistent on the surplus market.

Israeli Galil SAR

Israeli Galil SAR

Israeli Galil SAR

Israeli Galil SAR

B.B.

?

Hi BB - nice catch. I’ve always had a hankering for one of these, and there seems to be a good supply of them. Nice looking weapon and an interesting variant of the AK design

Quote by MG42UK View Post
    Hi BB - nice catch. I’ve always had a hankering for one of these, and there seems to be a good supply of them. Nice looking weapon and an interesting variant of the AK design
    It's a good time to pick one up if you're after one. D&B have some discounted at the moment, down to just under £600. The way deact prices are these days that isn't bad at all! You'd be lucky to find a bog standard AK for that price.

B.B.

?

Thx - I will have a look

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    ... It has a bayonet lug, but ex-Israeli bayonets seem to be nonexistent on the surplus market.
    Bayonets of Israel

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Thanks for the link, now I know what to look for at least!

B.B.

CBH
    ?

I used to own one of these in semi-automatic, it was a great gun, if a little heavy. But it was seized when the law changed, unfortunately. I had an Israeli and a South African R-4 magazines for it. I used to ring in the New Year with it, but that was a different time.

?

I have to say the deactivation process is really getting better, I know 'old spec' is the desired outcome for all collectors, but the fact dealers are able to now innovate their techniques to keep the original bolt carriers, allow partial stripdown and also fully moving charging handle, selectors and trigger is really great to see.

Quote by MG42UK View Post
    I have to say the deactivation process is really getting better, I know 'old spec' is the desired outcome for all collectors, but the fact dealers are able to now innovate their techniques to keep the original bolt carriers, allow partial stripdown and also fully moving charging handle, selectors and trigger is really great to see.
    It's certainly a great deal better than the old UK new-spec for automatic rifles. The bolt carrier on this one has been ground down, but the dealer has quite skilfully added an extra piece of metal that aligns perfectly with the rail on the cut side. It's seamless, especially with the top cover in place. They've also welded the pin in the magazine well from front to back, rather than horizontally, to prevent them having to cut a slot in the magazine. Quite impressive indeed!

B.B.