Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just found in pawn shop 1911 Amberg

Article about: I was on my way to pick my kid up at school but decided to stop into this pawn shop I haven't been to In a few months. I see this on the rack two days ago. I have always wanted one of these

FNG
    ?

I looked with a bore light, it's good. Need some cleaning but other then that she is fine.

Quote by FNG View Post
    I looked with a bore light, it's good. Need some cleaning but other then that she is fine.
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

FNG
    ?

Are these a little harder to find ?

?

Nice rifle. I collected a few Gew 98 Mausers some years back. In my search at gunshows and online don't recall seeing a lot of these. Looking in my book "The German Rifle" by John Walter, given the date of 1911, I believe you have a Kar 98 AZ. These were introduced in 1907. The Kar 98 A was made exclusively by the Erfurt government arsenal, not in Amberg.

Amberg is a Bavarian government arsenal. The Bavarians bought their Kar 98 AZ from this arsenal in very small numbers, thus overall production was small. Estimate is 30,000 rifles in two years. Very low number for Mauser rifle production. Based on the chart in the book, only Amberg made the Kar 98 AZ in 1911.

Overall, I say you did very well and have a not often seen pre-war Bavarian Mauser.

Yes they are harder to find (in my experience at least) than the standard G98 or the K98k. $700 isn’t too bad I should think. Biggest concern is the crack behind the action. I wouldn’t try to shoot it to avoid making that crack larger.

FNG
    ?

I was wondering if it was a AZ. I was looking at the polish ones and seem pretty close to resemblance. That is the best information I have got for it. I have been looking on the internet and hard to find stuff. Nice to see people have good books a out this stuff. I really appreciate you taking the time to look it up

FNG
    ?

The crack is very small and not deep at all. I asked the pawn shop worker about the crack and he said its on consignment with some other stuff. The owner said he shot it a few times. I'm not planning on shooting it. It's very solid and want to keep it that way. I have k98s to shoot instead

?

The book "The German Rifle" by John Walter is worth having if you like and collect German versions. I think it's long out of print, and I found mine years ago used from a seller on Ebay. Could be a newer book out there, but at the time this was the book to have.

There is a Mauser forum that is very active. Here is the link: K98k Forum

I have a Gew 98 Amberg 1916, so your post was certainly of interest. Glad I could help out.

FNG
    ?

I'm actually looking for the book now. I do collect the German variations when available. They are a good night I posted it on there too. I like to cross reference between experts. Someone might know something someone else doesn't know.

Think you did OK at that price for an Amberg. I too heard they are tougher to come by. Would be fun to shoot but know what you mean concerning a crack. Best of luck with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2