Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

K98 Find

Article about: Hey guys, it’s me again. I just bought this K98 after a lot of hours put into research and negotiation. It’s an all matching, numbered 4797, or just 97 on some small parts, 1941 example,

Any of you guys see anything that would tip you off on this listing?

Sent you a PM Jimmee. Stay in touch and good luck.

PRE
    ?

I STRONGLY recommend buying and studying the K98k books written by Mike Steves and Bruce Karem. They are hands-down the best books ever written on the subject.

Collector books are not cheap, but the knowledge they contain can save you thousands of dollars in ill-informed purchases. I've never regretted the purchase of any firearms related books I've ever bought.

Pat

Very nice rifle with matching numbers. Thanks for posting.

I bought this book in 1998, it has saved me countless dollars and time in collecting k98s.Its the bible on K98s.IMO.Am sure there are a few minor mistakes from new info being found as in any reference book but its never done me wrong.The author looked at many hundreds of bringback k98s and wrote this book.This is before so many of these k98s were humped up to make a buck.JMO
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Find   K98 Find  

K98 Find   K98 Find  

K98 Find   K98 Find  

K98 Find   K98 Find  

K98 Find   K98 Find  

PRE
    ?

No offense, but Law's book has numerous mistakes and assumptions that have since been proven false. I would argue that rifles have been faked for a LONG time, not just recently. There are more records and better research done more recently and after Law's book was published. Mike Steve's and Bruce Karem's books are THE go-to books for the K98k rifle, and show the benefit of much more current research and vetting of samples.

This is just an example of how the hobby has progressed, and not a jab at all at Mr. Law. For a VERY long time, there was nothing in English on the Carcano family of rifles and carbines until Dick Hobbs wrote his groundbreaking and seminal work on them. Dick did his own sketches and gathered his own material all pre-internet, and relied on contributions of other collectors, a network of far-flung, international sources, and observations in his own vast collection. He did yeoman work on the subject, but to be honest, it has been eclipsed by the follow-on studies of DiGiorgio and Pettinelli, and Rafael Riccio.

Full disclosure: Dick is a good and valued friend of mine, and a gentleman. He is still interested in the Carcano world and serial number trends, but isn't actively collecting now.

Yes Pre I hear ya,thats why reference books have always been just as said ,a reference ,yes there is better info out there today, I quit collecting k98s years ago,but at the time its all we had.ha

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4