Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Late War Kokura Type 99

Article about: Got this Type 99 from a family friend who got the rifle from the daughter of a Marine that brought it back from the Pacific. Unfortunately I know nothing about him or where he picked it up.

Default Late War Kokura Type 99

Got this Type 99 from a family friend who got the rifle from the daughter of a Marine that brought it back from the Pacific. Unfortunately I know nothing about him or where he picked it up. I think it’s a 25th series but it’s hard to tell from the light stamping. All parts are matching and the sling is original but with no markings that I can see. It is missing the firing pin spring and safety knob but I do have the original matching firing pin. It has been exposed to water and it’s rough finish has surface rust that I am slowly getting off. All thoughts, comments and info is appreciated. Enjoy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late War Kokura Type 99   Late War Kokura Type 99  

Late War Kokura Type 99   Late War Kokura Type 99  

Late War Kokura Type 99   Late War Kokura Type 99  

Late War Kokura Type 99  

Nice rifle. I am more inclined to think it is a 24th series, late 1944 production, but it is a light strike.
    John

Nice to see the mum intact. Hope you can find a safety knob to replace. Yeah the metal is rough but maybe some Kroil could be used to preserve the metal parts. I know cleaning is a dangerous word when concerning milsurps so has to be done correctly. Glad you scored the rifle as even Japanese Type 38s and 99s are shooting up in price. Thanks for sharing.

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Nice rifle. I am more inclined to think it is a 24th series, late 1944 production, but it is a light strike.
    John
    The photo doesn’t really show it but in real life you can see the two thin horizontal lines with the start of a vertical line going through the horizontal lines on the right side. That is what led me to guess the 25th series. Unfortunately my only camera is my phone so it’s difficult to capture the detail the eye can see.

But I would agree late ‘44. Or real early ‘45. Mostly due to the shape of the bolt handle

I agree with 25th Series after looking at the fixed rear sight. The 24th series still have adjustable rear sights. I should not try commenting based on memory.
    John

Same here. Wish I could offer more but not well versed in Japanese arms. Can tell you one thing for sure and that is the prices today are a heck of a lot more than the $25 my buddy paid for a Type 99 back in 1972. Wish I would have had a crystal ball back then. Would have beat him to it!!

Great looking type 99! And as mauser said it's great to see the mum still instact.