Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M14 US rifle,look good?

Article about: Before you get too excited,its a Federal Odanance build,but they sure got the look right!Stock is an original Vietnam era fiberglass.This stock had the full auto slot filled in.Fed Ord used

MAP
    ?

Quote by vegetius View Post
    By far the best, most reliable all purpose military rifle ever. Although the SLR was pretty good as well.
    I would tend to agree. While I love the Garand, the M14 took it to the next level.

Another keeper TC
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Another excellent example TC. You have great taste in firearms.

Here's the neutered version, the Springfield M1A.

M14 US rifle,look good?
    Yeah I am a 308 guy, I don't care for the 5.56, Never had.
    The G3 clone is my favorite to shoot and Bump fire.

Semper Fi
    Phil

..we used them for ceremonies in the USMC Marine Barracks Hawaii 1980s......seems unwieldy compared to the M16A1/A2

You have a beautiful rifle! I used one in ROTC at Ohio State, 1970-1974. I went on active duty in 1974 and saw only M16A1 rifles after that. With the M14, we were trained that if we had to assume a prone position immediately, fall face forward with the rifle held in front of you butt down to break your fall. This could be done with an M14, but it would damage or break an M16. The M14 is a stronger rifle, more reliable, more accurate (in 1974), and has greater penetration. It was designed like a sporting rifle to point naturally and has great target acquisition.

The M16 was designed to be controllable under full automatic fire, resulting in a shape poorly suited for rapid target acquisition. The big advantage of the M16, according to people I knew who used both the M14 and M16 in combat, is that the M16 rifle and its ammo are lighter. On long range patrols in Vietnam the soldier had to carry a large amount of drinking water and ammo, so the lighter weight of the M16 and 5.56mm ammo was enough to outweigh the advantages of the M14. Another advantage of the M16 is that its lighter recoil made it easier to train new shooters.

I read on the internet that Federal Ordinance purchased M14 rifles from Israel, and replaced the receiver with a new semi-auto only receiver. I don't remember now where I read that, so you can take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Richard2; 09-20-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: mistake

Thanks guys!

...how often did they need to break their fall going to a prone position??....they used and have been using the M16s, so that aspect seems moot
    ..I thought they determined most engagements were 300 yards or less, so the big rifles with the big ammo were ''wasteful'' ....
    ...full auto fire is also usually a waste [ inaccurate ] --that's why they had a 3 round burst on the M16A2

Nice rifle, Toecutter. There's nothing at all wrong with most of the Fed Ord rifles. Some of the later receivers were a little crude to the eye, but still serviceable.

I have one that has all HR parts and is a great shooter.

Thanks,appreciate it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2