Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Mauser C96 Pre War Commercial

Article about: Hello everyone! I will soon turn 30, and I have decided to give myself a special gift. I had a good opportunity and I could not refuse it. It's a Pre War Commercial, with all matching number

?

Thank you Trupa for the stock photo's.
    That's the Real Deal for sure!! Congrats on that matched set.

One other thing I noticed about your stock is the dual cutouts for the safety lever to fit the lid in both the Safe and Fire position.
    My stock only has one cutout and can only carry it in the Fire position. In the Safe position the lid will not close.

It's great to see these Broomy's.
    Thanks everybody!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Beautiful stock Trupa! Phil you are right about the belt loop. Fantastic you have seen a Chinese copy of a Mauser in . 45! A Shansei pistol! I just would like to see this pistol firing!

?

Yes! a Shansei pistol!!
    That what it was labeled as in the display.
    It was so long ago I forgot that, until you mentioned it and it Popped!!

He was the only Gun shop with a killer collection around the 4 walls of his shop.
    I loved just visiting it. It smelled awesome!!!
    He was also the only local Gun shop who carried the Mauser 7.63.
    I only have 2 stripper clips of it left. One of FMJ and the other is semi jacketed with lead nose.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I'd love to see it, handle it (and why not even shoot it) a Shansei in 45! Never seen one from life...Regarding 7.63 ammo, here in Italy I cannot say that they are found everywhere, but at least here in northern Italy at the moment they are still found, especially the Privi Partizan and the Fiocchi. I just bought a box of Privi Partizan, and I can't wait to try them! I have never shot this caliber and this model of pistol, although I have always wanted to do it since I was a child.

Give me some advice, would you also shoot with the original stock mounted, bearing in mind that there are some old cracks? From what I have been able to see these are the cracks in the usual spots on almost all the original stocks that have been used a lot, probably those certain points were more delicate and subject to more bumps and stresses. Even the good Iain McCallum from Forgotten Weapons states the same thing in one of his videos.
    In your opinion, could shooting with the stock engaged damage it further? The stock is nice solid and does not look fragile at all, not even where the cracks are present, but I would hate to spoil it as it is an original piece ...

And secondly, since the rear sight has taken on that dark color for the most part, you advise me to try to clean it with a special product to remove that oxidation or better leave it as it is? The part covered by the ''pawl'' remained shiny as it originally was, but the exposed parts have darkened. What would you do in my place?

Last edited by Trupa; 04-30-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Hello. In my opinion if the rear sight is oxidated by time, you don't have to clean it. If the rear sight is simply reblued you can clean without problems. Obviously the pistol is yours so the important is that you like it, cleaned or not. As to use it to fire with the original stock, I think no problems, the pistol is heavy and the 7.63 ammunition is not so 'strong'.... Is almost 'light'...

?

Hello Trupa,

Yeah that shop owner was cool, But didn't like people fingering his prized possessions. I only got to look at the Shansei behind glass and drool!!
    I don't blame him one bit, But He did shot it once and said he had no plans of shooting it again.

For the stock question: I have never shot mine with the stock on. Its only a holster for me. In the US according to the ATF laws, My understanding is that certain C&R (Curious & Relic) designated model pistols. e.g. Browning Hi Power, Artillery Luger and the C-96 can be shot with stock attached if it is an Original matching stock. I have seen arguments about using Repro's, But never wanted to risk the wrath of the ATF. They are very serious and NOT a friendly buck of the Alphabet Boy's you want to deal with!!!

As to using yours attached if legal in Italy, Your call there. I would take caution and see if any undo stress could cause further damage if used. I think the 7.63 is a snappy round and will have a nice recoil upward when shot. Nothing major but the muzzle does rise.

Now talking about the rear sight. That 1000 meters setting is very optimistic on the makers part. Its more like if you want to drop it like a mortar. The angle you have to hold it to line up the front site is like shooting a rifle grenade. Your not shooting, Your lobbing it!

I would clean it, But not aggressively. You don't want to remove the patina that is there , But soaking it in some oil/crud remover and scrub with a non metallic brush wouldn't hurt it.

Looks like me and Stahlelm were typing at the same time!!!!

I guess we can call ourselves Broomies now!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-30-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added comment

If someone is interested to have information, I suggest the book "System Mauser a pictorial history of the 1896 self loading pistol". It is better to have the book in the hands, but if it can be useful I have made a pdf version of the book.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3