Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mauser K98

Article about: I just came across this Mauser K98 on GunBroker. I've been wanting to purchase a K98 for a while, and this one looks nice; but I'd like to get some additional opinions on it if possible It h

Default Mauser K98

I just came across this Mauser K98 on GunBroker. I've been wanting to purchase a K98 for a while, and this one looks nice; but I'd like to get some additional opinions on it if possible It has about 40 hours left and is "only" at $630. Any red flags that I'm missing?

Mauser K98Mauser K98Mauser K98Mauser K98Mauser K98

Here's the link to the gun: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/733888773

been a very long time since I've owned one! the bore looks a bit flat to me, but again it's been a long time! so I stand to be corrected.

Back in the day when I had a 42 DOU (Czech made) I was able to hit a metal goat target at 600m iron sight 4 out of 5 shots, well did it once!

Any other red flags that you see with it? I see these sell for $1000+ all the time so am a little worried haha, and nice! I’d definitly want to test it out and shoot it, maybe I’ll be able to do that as well!

Quote by chbingle View Post
    Any other red flags that you see with it? I see these sell for $1000+ all the time so am a little worried haha, and nice! I’d definitly want to test it out and shoot it, maybe I’ll be able to do that as well!
    Can't see if it's a matching set! and with that bore you won't have a chance at my record. Plus I'm wary of late war Kraut weapons as the metal quality was degraded from 44 onwards. plus I was your age when I did shot that 4 of 5. My DOU 42 wasn't a match either. Still have the wood work from it.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-02-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added text

At least it is a Mauserwerke made one, if that counts for anything. Would a replacement barrel be an option?

Well price is about right for a bolt M/M. Yeah the bore has seen better days and looks a bit rough. Got a stamped and welded front band I see. If other parts match up serial no. wise it is about the going price for a rifle of this sort. I know prices have been creeping up on 98ks even R/Cs lately as supply dries up so hopefully you can score this for $650. BYF 44 is a more often found code 98k. Good luck with your bid.

Thank y’all for the replies, in your opinion would it even be possible or safe to shoot with this bore?

Quote by chbingle View Post
    Thank y’all for the replies, in your opinion would it even be possible or safe to shoot with this bore?
    I would think so. Bore might not be as bad as it looks. Am sure it could use a good thorough cleaning job. Cannot fully judge it without cleaning with solvents, brush, and swabs. Looks frosty to me and not excessively pitted. I know 98ks can be tougher to find at a decent price these days but often worth the wait for a nice example. I usually check out local gun shops where price are often more reasonable than gun shows and auctions where bidding wars tend to drive up prices. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Someone bought it before the auction ended so guess I’ll keep waiting haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast