Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MG42 trigger relic

Article about: Evening gents Purchased today a relic (dug up) MG42 trigger/ grip. Two points here the actual grips are wood , I thought they were only Bakelite? Also , if you look at the safety , what is t

Default MG42 trigger relic

Evening gents
    Purchased today a relic (dug up) MG42 trigger/ grip.
    Two points here the actual grips are wood , I thought they were only Bakelite?
    Also , if you look at the safety , what is the cut out in the grips directly below ???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MG42 trigger  relic  

Are you sure its wood? A lot of bakelite used filler material. As the resin deteriorates the filler could be exposed, looking " woodlike".
    Real wood would have rotted away long ago IMO.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I think you’re right
    The fibres must be fooling me.
    But that cut out under the safety?

My Yugo M53 had a cutout like that under the safety button, but I’ve just checked my wartime 42 and it doesn’t. It’s possible it’s a manufacturer variation, or something that was done on earlier guns that was scrapped on later ones (mine is dated to the latter half of 1944).

Some early M53s did use bakelite grips salvaged from German MG 42s. Can you see any markings? There should be one on either side of the trigger itself.

B.B.

Unfortunately the metal work is to corroded to show any markings.
    The reason I bought this item was because I want a pair of original grips for my 1943 MG42 .
    Unfortunately grips , along with wood butt stocks ( that I also want ) are nigh on impossible to come across.
    But I now feel it would be a shame to dismantle this relic so I might just keep it as is and carry on my impossible quest to find some original grips

Quote by Corston View Post
    Unfortunately the metal work is to corroded to show any markings.
    The reason I bought this item was because I want a pair of original grips for my 1943 MG42 .
    Unfortunately grips , along with wood butt stocks ( that I also want ) are nigh on impossible to come across.
    But I now feel it would be a shame to dismantle this relic so I might just keep it as is and carry on my impossible quest to find some original grips
    They're not impossible to find, but very expensive when they do turn up! Especially the buttstocks. And then you have fakes to worry about, though most are pretty easy to spot. If I spot what you're looking for whilst impulsively browsing, I'll let you know.

B.B.

Yes please bb
    And grips as well
    Thank you very much