Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Muzzle loader ID please.

Article about: I'm sure this will be an easy one for firearms enthusiasts, but it's not my area I'm afraid . Could anyone please identify the type, date, country, etc of this weapon. (I'm guessing 1857 ish

Default Muzzle loader ID please.

I'm sure this will be an easy one for firearms enthusiasts, but it's not my area I'm afraid .
    Could anyone please identify the type, date, country, etc of this weapon. (I'm guessing 1857 ish?) The junkshop I bought it from knew nothing just describing it as a wallgun for decorators.There is a number on the stock - see photo. The mechanism is in full working order, and the ramrod can (now) be withdrawn. Thanks very much for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Muzzle loader ID please.   Muzzle loader ID please.  

Default Re: Muzzle loader ID please.

It's hard to tell without a bit more info. Are there any markings or numbers on the side plate or anywhere on the barrel? Also what are the numbers on the stock, can't read them from the pictures.

Thanks

Burt

Woodwork is for hunting/target shooting not military (although the mechanism might be from a military musket).

Hi
    I would say a hunting piece mid 1800,s, but if you could show some close up,s of the markings it would be helpful.
    dave,

Here's a photo of the numbers on the stock, and a closeup of the side plate. There are no visible numbers or markings on the barrel, but they could have rusted away as I strongly suspect it was buried away in barn for years and is in poor condition. It came from the Westmorland area and I wondered if that may give any clue? I agree that the stock makes it look like a hunting piece, but I wondered if the numbers on the stock could relate to some militia/yeomanry use? (Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry were based around Penrith and Border volunteers were based in Appleby, Kendal, and Kirkby Lonsdale)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Muzzle loader ID please.   Muzzle loader ID please.  

Hi,
    I still think hunting piece but the number are period stamped, the percussion cap was developed in 1805 i think so it could be anywhere from that time on. Having said hunting piece it could be a militia musket.
    Dave.

PS, either way i like it,