Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My First K98

Article about: Hello all, I just received my first German K98 the other day and am very happy to finally have one in my collection! It is a 1939 Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (Erma) Produced example. It is impo

Default My First K98

Hello all, I just received my first German K98 the other day and am very happy to finally have one in my collection! It is a 1939 Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (Erma) Produced example. It is import marked and parts have been replaced (it does not have a Russian capture "X") which leads me to believe it is not a Russian capture or a GI bring back? I've been looking to add one of these to my collection for quite some time; The bore is dirty but the rifling is still strong so I can't wait to take it to the range!

My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98My First K98

(Will upload better outdoor pictures when the weather allows)

Congratulations. Looks like you got a decent one that has not been messed. Even though not entirely matching it looks like a very respectful example. Did it come from local gun shop or private purchase? I believe your gun is a tougher to find code from what I have read so should be worth a premium. Thanks for sharing and hope you got a decent deal.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Congratulations. Looks like you got a decent one that has not been messed. Even though not entirely matching it looks like a very respectful example. Did it come from local gun shop or private purchase? I believe your gun is a tougher to find code from what I have read so should be worth a premium. Thanks for sharing and hope you got a decent deal.
    Thanks! I got it from a friend of a friend, and got it for a very fair deal. I’m hoping I can get it cleaned up and take it out to the range sometime next week!

From the photos provided, the swastika on the large WaffenAmt marking appears to have been defaced. This was common practice for Russian-captured examples. It also looks as if the wood may have been stripped of shellac at some point? Hard to tell. Either way, it's a great-looking all original K98. Congratulations on your acquisition of an iconic WWII rifle!

I also own an Erma-produced example, mine being one of the batch produced in 1941 rather than 1939. Erma only produced around 100,000 rifles, or so I've been told, which makes yours a comparatively rare find. Mine's unfortunately been neutered, but a K98 is a K98! (In reference to my previous comment, I've included a photograph of the rifle pre- and post-restoration. The old stock was a Yugo/Russian capture with the characteristic red shellac and the serial number added to the butt. The one that replaced it is a Norwegian-used stock, which were not refinished or refurbished in any major way. This leads me to wonder whether yours is unmessed-with, or whether it once had shellac that was removed by a previous owner.)

My First K98My First K98

Regards, B.B.

?

Congrats!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

That will look awesome with a bayonet on it!!!!

I would be interested in hearing how she shoots when you get to the range.

Semper Fi
    Phil

TWS
    ?

Congratulations. Nice acquisition.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Nice K98 and you will enjoy firing it at the range. Some years back when the RC rifles started showing up, a local shop had a few dozen of them (in Texas ). I looked at them all. Some had the 'X' and all of the swastikas removed, others had the swastikas removed and no 'X'. Then one or two still had the swastikas and no 'X' etc. So a lot a variation for sure. None had all matching numbered parts but one was close. Most common was all had the stock reworked in some way, most often a refinish of varying quality. Hope this helps and enjoy your K98

Great first K98!They are great rifles and shooters,the mauser action is probably the stongest ever made,have shot some pretty hot surplus through mine and it handled it no problem,thats a nice example.Congrats!Brodie,I have a 41 saur made after yours with the ce code,the early ax code rifles are pretty scarce.

?

Closer look at the photos, in pic 7 there are import stampings near the front sight, looks like VT (Vermont). Pics 3-4 by the receiver looks like remnants of the stock refinishing seen on the RC Mauser rifles, so stock probably cleaned some. Nice rifle from a less common maker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast