Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

My WW2 deact gun collection

Article about: As my wife bought me TWO guns this Christmas (an SVT-40 and a Mosin Nagant carbine - I have obviously been a good boy) I now have sixteen and feel that this can be called a collection in its

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A small clarification... the Home Office declared that the UK spec guns are what they call 'defectively deactivated' and cannot be sold to countries within the EU. HOWEVER... UK is no longer part of EU/EEC, and furthermore, the new legislation concerning the sale of defectively deactivated guns HAS STILL NOT BEEN PASSED ON TO THE STATUTE BOOK. and so is not yet law. This is why so many dealers still quite openly trade in UK spec guns.

I was given this information by a highly regarded gunsmith and trader in deactivated weapons.

Cheers,
    Steve

My understanding is that it is current law, however, it is full of loopholes. It would require a test case to in order for certain points to be clarified, but given that the punishment is a level 1 fine (£200) and the current state of the UK legal system I would suggest that any challenge would result in the CPS dropping the case. Although saying that they are always twitchy about firearms, live or otherwise, and I wouldn’t want to end up being a legal Guinea pig.

I get the impression that it's a very low-priority issue for the government. After all, they have much more to worry about at the moment! UK-spec and earlier EU-spec guns are definitely still changing hands, it's just up to the individual whether they want to run the legal gauntlet or not, though anyone sensible would obviously advise against it.

It's an interesting case study that World Wide Arms, the only dealer who categorically refused to deal in anything other than the latest EU-spec deacts, recently went under. It could just be a coincidence, but given the prices deacts are changing hands for these days, the market is very much at a 'make or break' stage.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I get the impression that it's a very low-priority issue for the government. After all, they have much more to worry about at the moment! UK-spec and earlier EU-spec guns are definitely still changing hands, it's just up to the individual whether they want to run the legal gauntlet or not, though anyone sensible would obviously advise against it.

It's an interesting case study that World Wide Arms, the only dealer who categorically refused to deal in anything other than the latest EU-spec deacts, recently went under. It could just be a coincidence, but given the prices deacts are changing hands for these days, the market is very much at a 'make or break' stage.

B.B.
    The founder of WWA passed away last year, and I don't think the last owner who inherited the business, had the same passion or drive to purchase batches of weapons as his predicessor did. EU spec guns still rise in value just as the old spec guns do, you only have to look at how much an EU spec Mp40 has gone up by since 2018.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The founder of WWA passed away last year, and I don't think the last owner who inherited the business, had the same passion or drive to purchase batches of weapons as his predicessor did. EU spec guns still rise in value just as the old spec guns do, you only have to look at how much an EU spec Mp40 has gone up by since 2018.
    Yes, that came to mind shortly after I posted. I still have the memorial catalogue they sent out to all their customers shortly after he passed. Not the only long-time dealer we've lost this year, either.

Indeed, deact prices have risen across the board, but when it comes to a choice between EU and UK spec, most with the luxury of choice will prefer the latter. Unfortunately, they now seem to occupy the same price bracket that old-specs did just a few years ago, and EU-specs are now the 'entry level', as UK new-spec used to be. That's if you can call anything entry level in today's market!

B.B.

I’ve got a magazine for the M37. Unfortunately the rounds aren’t original Italian WW2, but it looks the part.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My WW2 deact gun collection   My WW2 deact gun collection  

My WW2 deact gun collection   My WW2 deact gun collection  

A days overtime, a 10% summer sale, and I obtained another Italian gun!
    A 1941 dated Carcano M91 Calvary carbine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My WW2 deact gun collection   My WW2 deact gun collection  

Father Christmas got me a Thompson M1 this year.

It’s got a hand guard brace, which was introduced late in the war to prevent splitting.

Unfortunately I’m moving house soon so there’s no group shot

Not deactivated (and one is not technically WW2), but I also got a Springfield M1A air rifle (for a bit of fun) and a miniature scale, all metal, Sten MkII. It’s an excellent little thing, like a WW2 inspired fidget spinner.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11