Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help Dating a Luger.

Article about: Hello all, I recently inherited a Luger that was brought back from WWII by my great uncle. It has several markings which should be visible in the picks below. It is either nickel or chrome p

Default Need Help Dating a Luger.

Hello all, I recently inherited a Luger that was brought back from WWII by my great uncle. It has several markings which should be visible in the picks below. It is either nickel or chrome plated and all parts are stamped with 27. I have been able to discern that it is stamped with the waffen amt marking as well as several crown N markings. The P.S. 203 marking has lead me to believe it was originally a Sachsen Police Luger ? Any help at narrowing down a date would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.Need Help Dating a Luger.

It looks like a bit of a hodgepodge put together. It looks like there is a lot going on and I am not an expert by any stretch. It is nickle plated to begin with which was probably done more recently than not. The toggle logo was either never there (blank) or obliterated in the refinishing of the gun. The serial number seemed to survive so perhaps was a blank toggle. Based from the WaA66 marks you can discern that it was proofed by DWM. The fonts that are on the gun in numerous places seems different to me especially in the first photograph. There is no chamber date but that may have been lost in the nickel process or never there. I guess maybe the 1920's but could be off. Perhaps someone who knows more about Imperial Lugers can be of help.

Do you know when it was plated? Obviously post war by your uncle... did he ever say anything about this. It makes me cringe when I see this done to Lugers and p38's

MAP
    ?

Quote by nbushyager View Post
    Do you know when it was plated? Obviously post war by your uncle... did he ever say anything about this. It makes me cringe when I see this done to Lugers and p38's
    While "collector" value is gone, it is now part of a longer story that itself is important. If the story is correct, knowing the "who / what / where / when and why" history of this piece has some appeal as well. Not much different than a "Vet Art" helmet.

Historyseeker: I'm sure someone will be around. Not my area. So can't help
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think the crown N stamps are for commercial models. There are no export marks under to see. Alphabet commercial? That is an odd stamp under the serial on the bottom of the barrel. Can't quite discern what it is.

Very pretty but afraid collector value is ruined for sure. Don't want to say how much it would be worth if it remained in original condition.

MAP
    ?

I'm sure there will be more replies. But should we not get you enough information, you might want to check out some forums dedicated to Luger pistols.

A quick google search turned up two

Pistole Parabellum

or

Jan C Still Luger Pistols Central Powers Axis Pistols Discussion Boards From Gunboards.com

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

There seem to be no imperial war time stamps on it. The eagle looks like what you see on early S/42 models. I'd post at Jan Stills Luger Forum.

Update: Thanks to all who offered up their advice or knowledge. I was able to get answers off Jan C's board. Apparently this was a luger that was repurposed for the Rif resistance given the blank toggle and crown markings, more than likely became a police weapon. This along with the other artifacts will add to the history and story of his service. Thanks again.

MAP
    ?

What is the "RIF"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast