Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to know if I got scammed.

Article about: I just started collecting ww2 items, guns in particular. I don't know a whole lot about this k98 44 byf, but the gun dealer really sold me on it. The thing that is scaring me is I'm not find

Default Need to know if I got scammed.

I just started collecting ww2 items, guns in particular. I don't know a whole lot about this k98 44 byf, but the gun dealer really sold me on it. The thing that is scaring me is I'm not finding others with a shiny bolt... I'm including pics. The numbers match everywhere. I would love any info you all can provide. Also, I paid $950, did I way overpay?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need to know if I got scammed.   Need to know if I got scammed.  

Need to know if I got scammed.   Need to know if I got scammed.  

I do know the byf is made by Mauser, it was manufactured in 1944, and is a 8mm. That's all I really know for sure

Quote by daniel777 View Post
    I do know the byf is made by Mauser, it was manufactured in 1944, and is a 8mm. That's all I really know for sure
    Actually, I believe these are 7.92 mm.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Actually, I believe these are 7.92 mm.
    Ralph.
    7.92 is referred to as 8mm Mauser in some parts.

The good news is the parts have matching numbers. But that stock does look like it's been sanded to give a smoother finish and the bolt looks like its been buffed and all trace of factory blue is gone. Probably the misguided "improvements" of a former post WW2 owner. In the collecting world of antique firearms, a bit of a no no.

?

I love shiny bolts: they provide a nice contrast. Some markings on the barrel's end are not original anyway.

Which are not original? All the numbers on each piece match. Did they add the same numbers to replacement pieces? Was this a "captured weapon"? And most of all, did I pay too much? Thanks for all the info so far!

?

daniel777, One of the lessons in this hobby is to ask questions first, and then make the purchase or walk away.
    This all would have discussed the same way, however, your money would still be in your wallet.
    JMO G..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Hi,
    You should not worry about a shiny bolt. I've seen many 2WW Mausers like this, sold by Mitchell's.
    Collectors will tell you they are refurbished. But nice gun anyway.
    Btw the markings I mentionned are those on this pic (civilian proofmarks, logo of the dealer, importing company, ...):

I hate to tell you this but you over paid. The rifle has been totally reworked and the the matching numbers do not mean a thing on this rifle. The number have likely been added to hump up the price and the rifle has a import mark, that would make this a 500.00 rifle in my opinion.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast