Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

P.38 with holster

Article about: Hi guys so I am not experienced with collecting pistols but I have always wanted a P.38 so I have been looking at this one the seller does not confirm whether or not the holster belongs with

Default P.38 with holster

Hi guys so I am not experienced with collecting pistols but I have always wanted a P.38 so I have been looking at this one the seller does not confirm whether or not the holster belongs with it or not so probably a post war add on and the seller also confirms that it is all matching and fully functional is there anything specific I need to look at on these P.38 pistols? Thank you for any opinions on this Pistol.!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P.38 with holster   P.38 with holster  

P.38 with holster   P.38 with holster  

P.38 with holster  

The slide looks like it has been refinished to my eyes. The frame looks like it has original finish. It could be a good purchase depending on price. The holster looks good but I do not think original with the gun. Looks like the many that came out of Russia. Wait for additional opinions.
    John

MAP
    ?

Looks like a very nice mid 1944 Mauser made piece with the 2nd variation acceptance stamp (Wa135). I can't see anything wrong with it.

Doesn't look refinished to me but not something I can spot easily with my knowledge so lets wait for the gun guru's to confirm.

Edit: well John typed faster than me and confirmed my weakness on the finish
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you guys on that! how do you tell a refinish? I need to do some studying I did not know that was even a thing.

To my eyes the edges of the stamps do not look crisp but soft. The later war finish was a bit rougher, even for Mauser. The high points look too even of finish wear. Does not look like natural holster wear. A in hand inspection may be needed and pics do funky things with color of bluing. Just my opinion though. Price is the determining factor. $600 rig or $1,400 rig makes a big difference.
    John

Thank you Rescue I did not think to look for these things and definitely did not know that it would effect the price so greatly it is 1,350 so thank you again! Now I know to look for Re-finishes on these pistols.

I would agree with John that the holster looks like one of the Russian capture holsters they released onto the market some years ago.

Gun looks pretty nice overall. Believe BYF was Mauser Oberndorf. Not too surprised at the price as they have shot up considerably over the last few years. Wish I would have invested in these pistols 40 years back when they could be had quite cheaply.

The p38 looks fine to me,a byf44 in the x block ,holster is a jwa4 made in 1944,its an original holster.Mags should be marked with eagle WaA135,if correct for pistol.I was thinking 1200.00 would be a good price if the bore is decent .