Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Panzerfaust 100 M

Article about: This panzerfaust was finding in East Prussia, Frische Nehrung area (Now Kaliningrad`s region, Russia). I think it is good condition. Pipe without holes, surface rust. The original paint has

PRE
    ?

Great find, and congratulations!

ATK
    ?

Nice one, congrats...

As both Larry C and BrodieBartfast point out UXO are not things to experiment with. Panzerfaust in particular are renowned to be manufactured to a low standard and therefore are inherently dangerous when encountered. Likewise the statement 'It's deactivated' can range from correct to very, very wrong!

It is also illegal to de-activate explosive items, (I have asked before if anyone knows better but I am sure that goes for all countries in Europe). It is not the absence of a main filling or propellant that usually causes the problem but the presence of the detonator or other sensitive, (or mutated) explosive that removes a few fingers of a hand. I have seen both over the years and the person discovering that the item was not inert usually opens with, "I did not know it was live"! Another firm favourite is, "But, (insert name) told me it was safe". Both of these gain no sympathy from us I'm afraid.

My advice is simple, steer clear of illegally modified ammunition. None of us in the business like to have to deal with these incidents and in addition to injury or death you are wide open to prosecution in most countries. I offer these comments in good faith hoping that I can save my colleagues from having to attend another nasty scene and the poor individual from losing the ability to count to 10.

R

Quite the find indeed. Members offered some good info here on safety. Hopefully the "faust" is inert. Was neat to see for sure though. Can't imagine how much of these items such as yours and shells or grenades still buried in the ground. Thanks for sharing.

There is a THIRD charge - the percussion cap under the trigger! Make sure it is fired like the ones below, it isn't much but can still go 'BANG' on you.....

Panzerfaust 100 MPanzerfaust 100 M
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Danmark. Your Heart's in the right place but you are a bit of a spoil Sport. I've seen a few igniters "go off" without causing any harm, the look of shock that follows is absolutely priceless!! And almost invariably followed by (Like vegetius pointed out) "Name x said it was Safe"

That it's been struck is also no indication that the primer has fired. Especially with a "complete" ground find. Misfires didn't get fixed, they got dropped for someone else to find 80 years later

"Your Heart's in the right place but you are a bit of a spoil Sport. I've seen a few igniters "go off" without causing any harm, the look of shock that follows is absolutely priceless!!" ... It was good advice! Your comment not so much...

Quote by christek View Post
    "Your Heart's in the right place but you are a bit of a spoil Sport. I've seen a few igniters "go off" without causing any harm, the look of shock that follows is absolutely priceless!!" ... It was good advice! Your comment not so much...
    Please don't be offended on behalf of others Chris. The Point of the comment is to shift the Focus onto "bang" instead of "it's not much".
    The fact of the Matter is Danmark's Photos show a struck primer and not necessarily a discharged one.
    His advice is well meaning and not wrong but for a novice holding a PzFst quite possibly misleading

Do have a nice day

Christek,
    Unfortunately those of us who are proffesionals in this business spend far too much time listening to comments that are frankly wrong. I'm afraid that outsiders who understand the workings of munitions are rare. Those who understand the workings and implications even rarer but those who understand the workings, implications and the actual risks along with the way to act and treat the item are in the job as no one who does not do this all the time can understand to that degree.

Teck is correct. A primer \ percussion cap with a firing pin strike is not a guarantee that the cap has functioned, it can still be a misfire. Is a percussion cap going to kill you - no but what else does that mean might well do so. The difference is that being in the job he is aware of the possibilities that a small mistake can create, the only way to avoid potentially serious consequences is not to make even small mistakes. This for people like us is the difference between going home or going to hospital or worse so as Im sure you will realise we take these things seriously.

His comment was made in good faith as are most actions by people who risk their lives for perfect strangers continually. That he is brusque I would put down to the antipodean way but not any malice.

I guess that I should have been more specific in that I meant that AS WELL as the black powder charge being FULLY gone from the tube, the primer cap should be checked also.
    I'm no munitions expert but just trying to help, not hinder .......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast